Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlas Elyden

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Here’s the next WIP on the Atlas Elyden: the Demesne of Azazem; one of the original seven nations assimilated by the empire of Korachan, near 4,000 years ago. It has been a major producer of food throughout its presence in the Korachani pantheon of nations, though its role has changed over time, as overworked farmlands have now been replaced by dross farms and hundreds upon hundreds of square miles of greenhouses that are fed by aquifers. Dross, is an artificial grey slurry made to sustain the working classes of the empire and is made from mosses, grains, recycled food and water, charnel and (in some cases) the bodies of the dead).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	azazem.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	80095

Next on my to-do list are either the region of the Haréshk or the Republic of Almagest. Both are amongst my favourites: Almagest is one of the oldest regions I ever came up with and splintered from the Korachani empire almost 1,000 years ago so has developed its own character. The capital and city of Almagest is one of the largest metropolises in Elyden and is a dystopic version of manhattan, with 2 rivers that are mostly hidden beneath vaulted regraded streets of rusted steel and grey stone. It’s a city of multiple levels and gigantic manufactories all connected by walkways and gantries. It was once a thriving centre of astronomy and industry though starvation has seen it diminish of late, with large areas disused or inhabited by degenerates and destitutes. Cagerunning (Elyden’s version of freestyle running) is common amongst the young. Almagest will likely be one of those maps that will have a small city insert detailing the major city districts – something I've wanted to do for a long time.

The second choice – the Haréshk – is one I have visited before, albeit in a more antique style, so will be fun to revisit in the Atlas style, updating it to match world events.

So which is it to be?

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Yaaay! I just pop back in and the Atlas Elyden has resumed! Happy Lingon It looks fantastic and I love the little snippets of background story you're sharing with the updates. And you're SO GOOD at place names. As for the next one, I'll vote Almagest, sounds utterly amazing…

Well both proposals are very tempting! You've developed a fantastic atlas style.

At first I was hoping you were going to do a the Haréshk but after the story behind Almagest my preference goes to that one! And this map loss really cool! I can only see a low quality version on my phone right now but I'm definitely going to check it on my computer later

Verstuurd vanaf mijn HUAWEI Y330-U01 met Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Your dedication in developing your World is really impressive!
    Looking forward to seeing your next steps.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Great stuff again Vorro! Almagest with the city inset would be a nice next step

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Excellemt work.

Quote Originally Posted by Lingon View Post
    Yaaay! I just pop back in and the Atlas Elyden has resumed! Happy Lingon It looks fantastic and I love the little snippets of background story you're sharing with the updates. And you're SO GOOD at place names. As for the next one, I'll vote Almagest, sounds utterly amazing…
    thanks about the names - - do spend some time trying to get them at least looking vaguely similar, and making sure there's some shared prefixes and suffixes in the same regions. Also, regions that were part of the Korachani empire will have many places that end in chan - the Korachani suffix for place (as in habitated)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Well both proposals are very tempting!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    At first I was hoping you were going to do a the Haréshk but after the story behind Almagest my preference goes to that one!
    Quote Originally Posted by AzurePlanet View Post
    Your dedication in developing your World is really impressive!
    Looking forward to seeing your next steps.
    Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Great stuff again Vorro! Almagest with the city inset would be a nice next step
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzkreuz View Post
    Excellemt work.
    Damn, i started work on the Hareshk instead!, but nice to see people are looking forward to Almagest! The Hareshki map shouldnt take too long to get done (well, too long by my standards...) I'm not entirely sure how to depict the city in the Almagest map - most likely as an insert map in a lower corner. I'm thinking of something akin to the below map, with colours more suited to my Atlas palette and the insert maps larger (if that works out to be too small i might just dedicate a whole page to the city map):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0737096.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	3.82 MB 
ID:	80247

If I'm feeling ambitious I might design the map as a pull-out spread (much like that example), so it will be 3 pages wide. Though as I was intending on getting this printed professionally so I'm not sure what my options are for full-page spreads.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

That's an effective method for place names then Looking forward to Almagest indeed, though Hareshk should suffice in the meantime Insets like in that example look awesome, though it sounds like you have material to let the city take a whole page… Some testing would be the best way to decide, I think

well, since its an atlas, its more about the regional maps than city maps, though you've given me an idea to include some of the major cities, also, perhaps in a separate section of the map

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast