Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Atlas Elyden

Quote Originally Posted by Raptori View Post
    I'm just about to start reading Guns, Germs and Steel which is supposed to really do a good job of discussing that, should be an interesting read.
    You just can't go about world building without reading this! Good choice for reading

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    You just can't go about world building without reading this! Good choice for reading
    I've been wanting to read it for a couple of years now, ever since I read Collapse. I'm holding off doing anything more on my worldbuilding until I've read it, but I've got to finish The City and The City before I can get on to GG&S...

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

might have to check that out myself

I'm thinking of perhaps something along these lines even if its perhaps 8-0 years too modern. I'm trying to find when these maps came into style to see if it's 'historically' possible. Though I'm worried the colours might make it a bit too busy

It would look very detailed, but it'd probably work quite nicely if you keep the colour scheme quite toned down. It might actually top the other options in terms of amount of effort to do though

Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raptori View Post
    It might actually top the other options in terms of amount of effort to do though
    I think so! but its actually my favourite type of mountains. much more detailed

Yeah same, it's by a mile the clearest way of showing the altitude, and it can look really nice too. Reminds me of the scene in Ender's Game where he draws the contour lines for an island, then makes his desk display it as a 3D object... *wishful thinking* lol

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

I agree, it would definitely look great, especially if you tone it down, but it looks like an awful amount of work!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

That look would be perfect! At first, I didn't like it, then I saw how well it would fit with the other elements in your maps. I say go for it

Funnily, it would be quite easy to get that effect with watercolors. Layering thin red washes with a small round brush, letting the previous layer dry completely first, would give a very similar look, including the dark edges and the slight texture.

I can only support the idea! Because it reminds me of my old atlas And because the first fantasy map I made, I had used this kind of mountains

Well, hell yes is all i can say! That'd be a very nice style. Hope you can pull it off, Vorro!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast