Thread: Atlas Elyden

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Expert Facebook Connected vorropohaiah's Avatar

So here's my work so far on the topography. The world map will use a maximum of 10 levels of height, each representing 1-mile (the highest peak on Elyden is just under 8 miles (compared with 5.5 miles for Everest, keeping in mind that Elyden is larger, with slightly less gravity and, well, created by gods), though I may change this. So far the map below has 5 layers of elevation, so needs three more, though I need to revise the topography to make most of the map 'shallower' as it's turning out too high, given the limitation on hight I've set myself.

I have no idea how accurate or realistic my topographies are (if you spot anything wrong with them please let me know!), though I have to say I'm really enjoying making them. They are a bit time-consuming, especially as I need to try and make the map fit in with features and regions that are already established, though they're very relaxing to make! If anything I need to try and limit the amount of time I spend on them as I could get carried away, though hopefully, more time spent on the map means a better end product.

A note on the colour - these colours are just a temporary feature while I work on the map, and I have a few options in mind - colour gradient, just the topographical lines, or use the topographical lines to help me make a relief map in greyscale. I'd like to try all 3 options and see which fits in the best.

EDIT: the entire N-E part of the map is unfinished as yet - just the 'coastal' regions, so far. Also the attached map is larger than the Korachani maps in previous posts as I figured i might as well work on a larger area, in preparation for the next map.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Korachan - topography.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	3.35 MB 
ID:	78547

I also settled on a portrait aspect with inset maps on the right, as shown below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Korachan.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	78548
    Last edited by vorropohaiah; 12-28-2015 at 03:41 AM.