Thread: In Memory of Clay Cook / Doirche

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi everyone. I'm Halaster Blackcloak (I use my Jared Synn user ID here), creator and lead writer for the Back In Print Project. Doirche was our head cartographer and unfortunately we lost communication with him some time ago. I knew he was going through a lot, and only had sporadic contact with him in the past year. Last year I spoke with him via telephone and while I could tell something was wrong (in the way he spoke, the tone of his voice, etc), he said things were going well and that he was excited to be back on the project. We were of course thrilled to have him back and I thought things would move forward. Then he cut off communication. This would have been shortly before the tragic end.

I rarely have time these days to go online and I didn't see this thread until another cartographer wrote me this week about doing work for the BIP Project and referenced it. I couldn't (or didn't) want to believe it, but apparently it's true. I just came across this thread today, so it comes as quite a shock.

I'm almost speechless. We've suffered setbacks at the BIP Project (injuries, illnesses, loss of jobs, etc) but never anything of this magnitude.

I can say that working with Doirche was always a pleasure. The man was a freaking genius when it came to mapping. Sheer genius. That map of Level 7 of Undermountain was drawn on graph paper with pencil by me, and Doirche sat at the computer, worked magic, and converted my drawings into a work of art. I was needless to say flabbergasted when I saw the maps.

This all hits a bit too close to home and part of me feels like shutting down the project. It's truly a labor of love (with hardcore emphasis on labor!), but this is so very depressing. Doirche completed a double-sized map of Level 8 (imagine Level 7's map, with another next to it making it double wide) as well as a sub-level the size of Level 7 only a LOT more complex. I'm working with the new cartographer to convert my PDF files into Illustrator files.

I decided that Doirche would want this project to go ahead as much as I would, so we will. Eventually I will release the entire thing as it is finished being written (we are quite a bit closer, but keep in mind this adventure will stretch to almost 300 pages, detailing nearly 200 rooms). It will include all of the maps Doirche converted into Illustrator format (from my crude drawings). I do want everyone to see his work. You will need to be sitting down when you see the maps Doirche did for Level 8 and the sub-level. Seriously, it will stun you into speechlessness. If you think Level 7 is impressive, that's just an appetizer for the magic he did with the other levels.

My deepest condolences to the family. I have written Ravells so I can get in touch with Clay's mother. I want to put a tribute up for him at the Back In Print Project. I'll keep everyone here posted. We lost a great and talented cartographer and a really nice guy. I'm not sure I can express how upsetting this is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Synn View Post
    This all hits a bit too close to home and part of me feels like shutting down the project.

I decided that Doirche would want this project to go ahead as much as I would, so we will.
    My condolences to you and to others who knew Doirche. I didn't know him at all, but my best friend growing up ended his own life 8 years ago and I think anyone who has been closely affected by suicide in a way understands. I have a few rememberences of my friend including a phone message that made me laugh so much I preserved it, and also several pieces of writing that he did. I look at these from time to time, and so I understand the email in post 1 above that asked that Doirche's posts be kept online permanently.

And I also understand why, if you do continue your project and publish Doirche's work, that it will be a wonderful testament to him and his talents, and will bring pride and comfort to those who miss him. As hard as it might be emotionally to continue, you are definitely doing the right thing in making the effort.