Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Crown Colonies

Maybe use the numeric instead of the name itself? Octavia to honor Henry the Eighth, then some city being Henryville or the like? Or use a number bigger than eight, to emphasize you have a variant of England involved?

Or evoke entire dynasties - Lancastria? Stuart? Plantaginet is a bit awkward, but there would be NO doubt what you were referring to! Plantaginetion, Plantaginettia, Plantagincourt. Planterra Nova. Plantain, where the banana trees grow. On third thought Stuart is a nice recognizable name, and doesn't have any major real place-names already using it.

I like both your scheme and the execution - nice!

Quote Originally Posted by RothgirFellhall View Post
    Oo oo what about New Hennary for Henry???
    Or Henricia (from Latin "Henricus") or Aenrichia (from Latin "Aenrichus").

For Edward, the Latin equivalent apparently, is Eduardus, so Eduardia would follow from Georgia, etc. James would get J/Iacobia or J/Iacomia, Charles > Carolia, William > Gulielmia or Vilhelmia, etc.

As others have said, you could use their regnal number as a base, e.g. "Octavia", or a contemporary (positive) epithet, e.g. "Virginia".

There's always colony names based on calqued names as well, i.e. literal translations of the name. "Edward", for example, means something along the lines of "Guardian of Wealth" or "Prosperous Protector". From there you could take, "protector" as as have Patronia.

I prefer Henricia over Eduardia, so I'll go that way. Thanks for the suggestion, Sangi39!

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

*sigh*

All better suggestions than mine.

(Why does "Lancastria" make me think GoT? )
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    *sigh*

All better suggestions than mine.

(Why does "Lancastria" make me think GoT? )
    Lannisters in GOT? And I have the same problem

Almost finished. A bit more labeling to do. I changed the colony names, and I created a cartouche for the map title. Still need compass rose, scale bar, a hand-drawn ship, besides the labeling. Oh I need to make symbols for towns and villages, and add an ornate border.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown-colonies-label-more.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	61455
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

BETHLAND... Is a place I want to live in.

Only things left to do are compass rose, scale bar, ornate border, maybe ship illustration. Opted to not do rhumb lines. Just about done.

Name:	crown-colonies-label-next.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	61466
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

A few comments on this map: The thing that bother me a bit is that you have some different outlining and opacity sizes on the mountains, whichs break the consistency of those elements. As for the rivers, you can see the forests through their transparency which doesn't make no sense. Rivers should either be plain color or hidden by the forests. Last neatpicks, I would use kerning on "Royal Cartographer" to avoid some bad overlapping with the cartouche frame and take care on river mouths (some don't join the coastlines, sove overlap on the coastline and a bit on the sea)

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    A few comments on this map: The thing that bother me a bit is that you have some different outlining and opacity sizes on the mountains, whichs break the consistency of those elements. As for the rivers, you can see the forests through their transparency which doesn't make no sense. Rivers should either be plain color or hidden by the forests. Last neatpicks, I would use kerning on "Royal Cartographer" to avoid some bad overlapping with the cartouche frame and take care on river mouths (some don't join the coastlines, sove overlap on the coastline and a bit on the sea)
    The mountain transparencies were an easy fix - I lessened the transparency by 50%.

As for the rivers being seen through the forest. I have seen historic maps that did the same thing. The emphasis is on the showing the course of the rivers, not an attempt to create realistic trees over the river. I see no problem with it - it makes perfect sense to me.

The Royal Cartographer wasn't a kerning issue, I had a problem not having the font available between two computers. One I did most of the design, but my older PC has a wider range of fonts so I did the labeling in that one. I tried to convert to curves all the text, but missed the "Royal Cartographer", and it converted to a different font with a different kerning setting. Fixed that.

Name:	crown-colonies-label-fix.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	61467
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 02-16-2014 at 05:02 AM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast