Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nautical Chart inspired New World

Looking very good now. I wasn't a fan at first when I saw the coloring on the background but with the additional material on it's looking great, prevalent but not overpowering (show's what I know). The paper texture shows through a lot more on the water than the land, which seems a tad inconsistent to me. Looking really good in general.

This is shaping up nicely Llannagh!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Llannagh's Avatar

Thanks guys. Good point about that paper texture. Will give it a thought.

Already another update:

I added a proper compass rose, which I designed myself. It's nothing original, but the first time I did something "geometric" with PS...

I have it colored and a version in black and white. I prefer the black and white one, but I'd still like opinions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW-KCO.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	61977 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW-KSW.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	61978 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW-shad.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	61980

Edit: I quickly made a shaded version of the black and whit one. They all feel a bit dominant, but I like that last version best so far.

Phew. That's it for today. Off to the pub!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Llannagh; 03-03-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Looks good Llannagh. That compass rose design is really nice!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Lingon's Avatar

Great progress on this, its starting to look really good! Spontaneously, I feel there could be more contrast between the land and the sea, but depending on what else you add, it could work this way too. The compass rose looks great, it's an awesome idea to use descriptive words instead of the normal direction names. I like the middle version best. Maybe drop the opacity of it a little too, to make the black less dominant?

Good concept for your compass rose. My preference goes to the second and third ones, but as Lingon suggested, I would play with opacity (in both cases).

I played with the opacity and it indeed looks much better. pics to follow, because today I shaped out the rest of the Island:

Name:	ClannLokkganz.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	975.6 KB 
ID:	62055 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClannLokkganzKorr.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	62056

So as you can see I integrated the original map and built off of it. That being said, this map will still continue as a single one. I'm going to make six smaller scaled maps and one big one. (Yeah yeah, I know, big announcements and all that... )
    I needed to picture the whole island for the backstory I have. The whole island is about the size of Ireland.

So long and thanks for all the fish, um, feedback,
    Llannagh

Worked on the compass rose and the box on the left (cartouche?). I worked with a layer mask on all of it and I thnik the result is what I was looking for. Though I was wondering, is there a way to make the lines a little more ink-like?

Name:	SW-V7.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	4.37 MB 
ID:	62152

The towns have names now! YAY! The overall theme is obviously Celtish, something I usually try to avoid because of the clichee, but the backstory is going that way, so, well, I'll just have to do my best to give it it's own appeal. Did I overdo it with the names? I'm not too good with coming up with names, so I just went crazy. If you spot something too ridiculus, please let me know.

With the font I'm not too happy with, either. It's the best I found that came with Photoshop. I could of course buy a better one, but at the moment I think I spent way too much on this new hobby of mine as it is anyway...

Well, next week I got a few days off, too. Going to work more on this, then. Maybe even finish it. Would be a first for me.

Night, space cowboys, have fun!

P.S.: I added forests, too! The map looked a bit empty, so I tried that. Whaddayathink?
    Last edited by Llannagh; 03-08-2014 at 04:01 PM.

Just real quick:

lower opacity on the forests and none at all:

Name:	SW-V7LP.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	4.29 MB 
ID:	62156 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SW-V7NF.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	4.22 MB 
ID:	62157

I think somewhere between the original and the lightened forest would look best. Displays more information and is more interesting to my eye with than without them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast