I like the choice of color in the left one!

Though I like the way you worked on the mountains, it's not what I meant. The rasterized shadows are nice, but what I liked most about the old version was that there weren't any shadows or lines at all. That way you can draw a lot more in between without it looking as if something's just been drawn over them. (I hope you can follow me)

To clarify, my idea of how to set off the mountains better was this one:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	62186

I did this with the brush size control set to pen pressure, so you can fade the lines in and out. That way your ridges would be more dominant. Don't know if that would work on the whole map, though. Anyway, the way you did it in the last version works very well, too!

As for the trees: brilliant! I tried to find a good way to make forests when I started mapping and wanted something like your style. I am assuming you drew each tree individually? I can see why you find that tedious and boring.
To make it a little less tedious you colud work with the clone stamp tool. Are you using Photoshop? Because if youre working with Gimp, I think you could make simple tree stamp with it. Doesn't really work with Photoshop, though, because PS uses greyscale for brush tips.

Anyway, keep going, looks promising!