More rough, and some explanation in case I have an idea someone wants to steal. First, of course, the rough map.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paridon1.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	617.7 KB 
ID:	62089
Several things are going on here, but I want to remind this is a rough. All I'm doing at this point is getting a feel for my city - its layout and character.

Let me start with my personal idiosyncrasy: water. Both in and out (waste). While the inner sea is a freshwater sea that provides a great source, it's still a long way up to the top of the rise. The solution is a series of dammed cisterns, fed with slightly exaggerated bucket hoists. By slightly exaggerated I mean that something that normally gets a lift of up to 20 meters is 'stretched' to about 80. If I get to detail on this I'll draw those in. Anyway, it creates a string of pearls of water that go up to the upper fortress. Overflow comes back down.

Waste is the reason the road on the left is shaped the way it is. Romans, Minoans, and Greeks all got away with piping their sewage away, and so will the Paridons. I'm running it off the western cliff. Slope of the road is so any rains wash effluvia away from drinking water. I thought hard about sloping them the other way to add to the drinking water and having the pipes cross under the roads, but figured this was better in the long run given human laziness, stupidity, and simple error.

The most obvious thing after is the coloring of wards (neighborhoods, districts, or whatever your label of choice might be). As I get to mapping out actual details this will help me keep the right things where I intend them.

A bit of background in case there's suggestions. The concept is that this was a refugee city formed about four generations ago. Old-town was tremendously paranoid and defensive. But as the feared attack never came people gradually moved closer to the harbor where the food and trade was. Now the fortress maintains the primary military barracks/training, the 'high' patricians (and those who want to be seen as such), secondary stores of merchants who deal in those sorts of goods, and market for the soldiers and patricians. Oh, and the university that came along is up there as well.

I'll be heads down on this for a while. I'll shift and adjust some of the wards. Then I'll actually start getting it into a map - making the switchback road follow contours instead of the hasty flat zig-zag, getting better walls and gates, turning the contour into 'land', all that sort of thing.

but it's finally coming together.