Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Map Tile Set

Ooops totally missed that one, thanks for the assist Kennyt. You might have to change the resolution, but that only effects print size not the detail of the image.

I'd love to know how you did the grassy rounded clump thingies (sorry, technical term) on the desert tile set. They look a lot like the burial mounds that I'm doing for a project. Thanks!

Do you mean the ones int the lower right hand corner or the top middle? Here's a tutorial I did on how I generally worked on these maps, but I can give you much more tailored information about individual map tiles techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    Do you mean the ones int the lower right hand corner or the top middle?
    Top middle, I think.

Here's a tutorial I did on how I generally worked on these maps, but I can give you much more tailored information about individual map tiles techniques.
    Perfect! Thanks!

Um... step 1 says "Have talent". Think I'm in trouble :-)

Clearly if it says have talent, then I as the author am writing about a subject I'm unfamiliar with. The two main things for making the mound in that picture are the cliffs, and making fake shadows and highlights to show that its a hill. Both are covered in that tutorial but here's the most important part:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tutty.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	694.3 KB 
ID:	64729
    1. pick the shape and direction of the sun
    2. on a separate layer, set to blend mode overlay draw your white highlights, on a different separate layer set to multiply draw your black shadows. (I showed the two combined with normal blend mode so you could see what I was doing).
    3. Mess with the opacities of your different modes, I did around 40% for my example.
    4. If its too sharp edges, use a blur filter or go back with a lower opacity brush to and blend the edges on your highlight and shadow layers so the hill spreads into the surrounding terrain.

That's about it for faking the shadows. You can afford to be pretty messy as my example shows.

Loverly. A mini-tutorial on top of the original! You guys amaze me with your willingness to share techniques. Thanks so much!

Guild Journeyer

MCC! Hey - i ended up using your desert tiles to create an underwater encounter scene, they worked perfect! I just added a translucent water layer and VIOLA!

( i also made some wave sea growth using a close up pic of my carpet, haha!)

Nice! Very clever use of them. Your carpet idea is fun, just watch out, you'll start evaluating everything around you as a texture source before long and people will look at you weirdly when you stop to peer at a strange area of bark or a particular concrete with great interest.

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    Nice! Very clever use of them. Your carpet idea is fun, just watch out, you'll start evaluating everything around you as a texture source before long and people will look at you weirdly when you stop to peer at a strange area of bark or a particular concrete with great interest.
    My family gets a kick out of it when I pass a rural barn and comment, "Nice rust"

Guild Journeyer

MCC, have you put any thought into making a couple swamp - forest transition or even a swamp - cave transition tile? if you ever find a spare moment those could be a wonderful add to your collection . BTW thanks again, your tile sets are my go-to for map making!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast