Lots of the bevel tool applied in different ways and some cheesy layer effects. I use Photoshop so I can't say how much this applies to other programs. I should write something with more pictury examples to make everything easier to follow, but for now:
1. Lay down the basic texture for the rock and put an inner bevel on it only a couple pixels wide. Set highlights to overlay unless you are working with a shinier material.
2. Add the texture option to the bevel, any grainy stone will do, and adjust the depth of the texture so it isn't too overpowering but the stone looks like it has highlights and shadows to it (depending on texture anywhere from 10-80%).
3. New layer with a bunch of radial lines (you'll have to draw these or use the ones below) linked to the one below by making it a clipping mask. Apply an outer bevel several pixels wide, again with highlights on overlay. For a flat wall you can use a grid instead of radial lines.
4. Add the texture option to that bevel too, the one you used before, or an even rougher one with some cracks, again fiddle with depth till it looks good. You should now have a ring wall made of rough bricks. that will do for a building in good repair. but moving onward to more damage.
5. New layer render some black and white clouds, then render some difference clouds over that. Set layer to either overlay or hard-light and adjust opacity (I like around 60% depending on the darkness of the lighting). Make this layer a clipping mask to the first stone layer and then hide the whole thing with a layer mask. Add a drop shadow set to 0 distance and maybe a few pixels wide.
6. Now take a brush with an uneven edge and edit the layer mask, anywhere you draw over the wall you'll get sections of "broken" looking stone.
7. Use the same rough brush to take chunks out of the wall here and there.
8. Add a drop shadow to your stone layer(or better yet just draw your own on a separate layer).
9. Add a outer glow to your stone layer, set blend mode to multiply, and make the color black (this works better than drop shadow as you can make it either "soft" or "precise" which will look better for different projects). Set it to just a few pixels and lower the opacity down to 60-20% depending on what looks good.
10. Fiddle with all the opacity settings for the bevels to the light and dark balance is good.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RadialLines.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	63443Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RadialLines2.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	339.9 KB 
ID:	63444