Thread: Geneva: Europe's Wars of Religion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected Micah Doulos's Avatar

Thanks. What do you mean that there are no "artifacts on the edges"? Did you mean that to be a compliment?

Here are the last 3 mountain styles I made.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mountains1.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	62204

I spent a great deal of time on number one. Just to realize that while the mountains may be great on a small scale map at full size (400x400), they're too big to work well on a map of this scale. I had to make the mountains smaller here (125x125), and the level of detail worked against me, causing the things to become extremely pixelated. I also regret doing it all in greyscale, because that made it more difficult to undo the pixel problem. Added to the difficulty is my use of the paintbrush instead of the pencil. The paint brush painted in different shades of color, where as I learned the pencil stays at the same color value. I want mountains that are very boardgame'esque'. I don't think highly detailed mountains like number 1 fit. I don't like the other two either. I'll probably try painting directly onto the map next time, instead of making animated brushes. What do you think?

Also, on number 3. I can't figure out why a white line appears on the left side of the mountains. Everything is transparent in the layers. I doubled and tripled checked. Brown color, then a black line, then transparency. Yet when I paint with the animated brush, these strange white outlines appear. Ever seen anything like that?
    Last edited by Micah Doulos; 03-09-2014 at 08:11 PM.