Thread: Planet of DURANIN and Satellites

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What kind of star does this planet orbit? Because 4.3 billion km orbital radius seems excessive. I think you may have had a decimal-placement error, there. That's 30 times as far as the Earth is from the Sun- which might be appropriate around some sort of supergiant or something. I'm not sure. But that's about as far out as Neptune. Which it actually sort of resembles. Are you going for a frozen Pluto-like world? Because this is way outside the habitable zone for most stars that are likely to have habitable planets. There wouldn't be any "wind" or "hail" because even helium would likely be in liquid form- no atmosphere.

One AU- the distance from the Earth to the Sun- is about 150 million km.

OTOH if you did accidentally add three extra zeros then 4.5 million km (with an "m") would work for some red dwarfs. It would almost certainly be tidally locked, though. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habitab..._dwarf_systems

EDIT--- Oh, and I found a typo- it's inhabitants, not inhabidants.
    Last edited by acrosome; 03-27-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I like these, but I feel you ought to make some minor changes:

- Border is just a little too wide. Distracts from the main part, the planets.
    - The font is way too hard to read. I'd change the font face to something more... sans. The headlines can stay fany, that's fine. Definitely increase the contrast though. It gets lost in the starry background.
    Thanks, those are some good points, I'll see if I can fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by acrsome View Post
    What kind of star does this planet orbit? Because 4.3 billion km orbital radius seems excessive. I think you may have had a decimal-placement error, there. That's 30 times as far as the Earth is from the Sun- which might be appropriate around some sort of supergiant or something. I'm not sure. But that's about as far out as Neptune. Which it actually sort of resembles. Are you going for a frozen Pluto-like world? Because this is way outside the habitable zone for most stars that are likely to have habitable planets. There wouldn't be any "wind" or "hail" because even helium would likely be in liquid form- no atmosphere.

One AU- the distance from the Earth to the Sun- is about 150 million km.

OTOH if you did accidentally add three extra zeros then 4.5 million km (with an "m") would work for some red dwarfs. It would almost certainly be tidally locked, though. See:

Habitability of red dwarf systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT--- Oh, and I found a typo- it's inhabitants, not inhabidants.
    Thanks for the spelling correction. I know that the planet is far out it is supposed to be. Although the wind and hail point is a good one, I will have to change that. It is not inhabited but that isn't proven yet.