Thread: Maps of the Paris Catacombs.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by thebax2k View Post
    Sometimes life is stranger than fiction. The Guild has many maps of dungeons and megadungeons, nearly all imaginary, but here is a link to the real thing: http://exploration.urban.free.fr/catacombes/

A French urban exploration group put up a page with a whole bunch of maps of the Paris catacombs. Although not directly rpg related, I find the maps highly inspiring and wouldn't be surprised if similar structures cropped up underneath my campaign's cities Enjoy.
    Awesome.

Moscow has some great tunnels, too ... laid out over centuries and nobody's ever mapped them completely. A few years ago, there were some great stories running about a group of teenagers that apparently had the most complete maps of them from exploring them personally, and the government's efforts to win over the kids' cooperation in getting a complete picture ...

S. John Ross Ghalev
    Who Dat? Games Fonts Uresia

That really is cool. I wonder what symbol they use for secret doors?

When I look at those maps, they make me want to run a Call of Cthulhu adventure set in them.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Default we don't mark doors!

Quote Originally Posted by Tancread View Post
    That really is cool. I wonder what symbol they use for secret doors?
    My wife and I spent 100+ hours (2x a week for 3 months) learning the catacombs with some great guys who've been going down there for decades... none of the secret doors down there are marked, and look exactly like the surrounding walls unless you know WHERE it is supposed to be!

Further, since it is all illegal to be going down there (and dangerous if you don't have a cataphile to guide you) folks don't mark the entrances they know on their maps, since if they got busted, the police would be sure to seal those entry points.

If you find yourself in Paris, drop us a line and we might know a guy!

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Default Trip to Paris!

HoquetetL'Enchenteu, I have been searching all over the internet for as much info as possible on the catacombs as I am traveling to Paris at the end of this month with the intent of having a mooch in the catacombs! I have been urban exploring for years now but would love to get in contact with you for some advice maybe? I know I have came to this thread abit late but hopefully you will see this and could help me out?