Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: August Entry: Multiple textured paths

Blog Entries

I done the mountain path. I thought about jungle but I couldn't figure out what would be significantly different about the jungle than the tree path so far. More creepers etc but thats hard to do with this type of gray to texture thing. So adding some lianas and big rubber plant leaves etc as tokens should do the trick.

This one is showing the new tile style + grid and I tried to get the heather overflowing the grass bank. Not sure if I should lighten the gravel to that chalky white that we saw in the photo. Would that look too odd unless you had seen that photo ? I dunno.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MtnPath_sample.png 
Views:	1312 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	5754  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That path looks pretty good and as far as the lighter color, it would look odd had I not seen that pic. This one here seems to be ... more ... what's the word... usable, yeah, that's it. A white one would be too specific, in my opinion, so I like this style best. Keep up the good work.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

A quick round up. Here is the current set which I think will be enough to cover most situations. Any C&C's about the texturing - we can add more tile shares easily.

Even this one tile and less than 1/4 of it in jpg is 2.5Mb... Hmmm going to be a problem here...

(thanks Ascension)

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	All_sample1.jpg 
Views:	946 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	5757  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Outstanding! You definitely seemed to have found a good method for the path edges.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Redrobes, this is some excellent and handy work you've got here! I hope you find a hosting solution. Have you looked into a Flikr account or Photobucket account? I'm not sure what their maximum image size is for a non-payed account... or for a payed account, for that matter.

Post of course RR has hosting

Quote Originally Posted by Mrugnak View Post
    Redrobes, this is some excellent and handy work you've got here! I hope you find a hosting solution. Have you looked into a Flikr account or Photobucket account? I'm not sure what their maximum image size is for a non-payed account... or for a payed account, for that matter.
    Ah, look at Redrobes signature... see Viewing Dale and GeoTerSys, if you click on them they are RR's hosted sites - he has plenty of hosting space to post these tiles.

Usually there is a thumbnail link of all existing challenges in a given month - Redrobes is usually the host for that as well.

Good job, Redrobes - I prefer wilderness tiles myself, but I read the challenge as dungeon tiles, meaning "dungeons", so that's the way I went.

Nice detailing in the ground cover.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Well I checked and I have enough but only just if I put the full size png tiles up. All told they come to 850Mb. What I think ill do is run it at 1400 pix square for 200dpi and try JPG's and see if I can cut that down to a couple of hundred Megs then thats more respectable. Its the upload and download times too. Although I have broadband they really screw the upload speed so for each 150Mb or so, its about an hour. So I will host them but I don't have a dedicated machine on the internet for my stuff. I get a few gigs of allocation from some ISP server out there and thats shared between about 5 web sites.

I should have bought a static IP, a linux box, got Apache running and done it all myself. Then I would have had hundreds of gigs of space and 100 megabit upload speed. In fact, thinking about it, if I did that, I could serve these images directly from the script itself... ah well, live and learn.

Blog Entries

I agree with GP that I need some dungeon. Its not in any way going to be as detailed as other dungeon tiles but it will sorta complete the set. Hmm maybe I should have a cave entrance or something so that you can transfer from one type to another. Anyway here is my dungeon texture which is pretty uneventful actually. It only uses two textures (plus black & white).

I checked out the sizes again and it seems that I can keep them at 2048 but JPG takes them down to about 1.5Mb each so thats about 200Mb of tiles so far. Not quite so bad as 850.

Name:	Dungeon_sample.png 
Views:	237 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	5781  

Oh! Definitely do a transition tile! That would be awesome. I would imagine a cave entrance but also a "hole in a clearing" type entrance as well.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast