Thread: August Entry: Multiple textured paths

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

No problem at all. Glad to be of help.

Blog Entries

Now I have blurred them and scaled them each to 2048x2048 in size.

I created a nice noise map and added 40% of the noise map to 60% of the tile. This gives a noisy version of it. Then by using contrast I stretched that at the midpoint back to black and white again.

Now we have the same shape only about 10x the size and with crinkly edges to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BnW_Noise.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	5670  

Blog Entries

Ok, so far, so straight forward. But now I am going to show some trick that I have been using for ages and have some special tools to help with but can be done in any paint package if slightly more laboriously. I also noticed that Ghalev said he uses this sort of thing and was talking about using it for hatching so ill start with that as an example but it gets more fun a little later.

So taking our black and white crinkly masks I blur them quite a bit to give the set below and I have also drawn and scanned some sample hatches and then pushed through my seamless tiler script.

Name:	Blur1.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	5672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hatching_swatches.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	5673  

Blog Entries

So taking different shades of grey we can mask in / blend different textures onto them and you can automate this so ill try to chug out some interesting stuff based on this. This one only looks alright up close up but ill sort out some better stuff later.

Name:	Hatching_sample.png 
Views:	90 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	5677  

Blog Entries

Thanks, done a wooded path now with the set of textures below. The textures came from CGTextures.com and made seamless using my tiling script. Its really not all that difficult to do.

It seems that the challenge rules have changed and there is no limit on the number of tiles to produce so tell me, what shapes of tile path do you need ?

Also, I am sure you get the idea now - what texture types do you think would be a good idea. I might try cobbles on grass for a city base next.

Name:	WoodedPath_set.png 
Views:	175 
Size:	160.7 KB 
ID:	5709   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodedPath_swatches.png 
Views:	101 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	5710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WoodedPath_sample.png 
Views:	1236 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	5711  

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    It seems that the challenge rules have changed and there is no limit on the number of tiles to produce so tell me, what shapes of tile path do you need?
    I would like to see a few more organic looking linkages from tile to tile. Though I would somewhat limit 100% mix and match, having some tiles with paths (exits) from corner to corner would be nice for some variety as well as a few tiles that start in the "center" and end at a corner so you could explain the link ups on other tiles....

BTW, I LOVE your cut in road effect... very nice. As for tokens/stamps/etc, perhaps a few transparent png's to represent various "weeds" that happen to peek up through the cobbles.... Not every road is going to be 100% maintained to perfection...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.