Thread: First try at dungeoneering with GIMP

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Wip First try at dungeoneering with GIMP

So I am running a roll20 campaign and want to provide some custom dungeons/castles... The problem is that I don't know how to gimp good, so I spent the last few days reading tutorials.

This was my first try at a keep's ground level:

Not pretty, but not too terrible. Just... not the style I am aiming for (Also, can't seem to find good objects that match the style).

So I tried a second thing:

This is more inspired on what I saw from http://www.cartographersguild.com/building-structure-mapping/28015-tower-keep.html]this and http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/16160-%5Baward-winner%5D-photoshop-using-paths-create-textured-walls-why-i-hate-bevels.html]this.

One thing I would love to get some help/input is how to make my walls thinner. I used 1 square walls inside but it doesn't look too hot, but I can't think on a way to do it with just a line without losing internal space on the rooms.

I tried this, but still losing internal space and feels weird with the grid:

Also, any other tip is welcome. As you can see, I don't know how to do DOORS yet Or how to actually put symbols for stairs and etc.
    Last edited by coredump; 09-11-2014 at 03:48 AM.

And this is my new passion/try in old school mode. I think I may end using this when gaming because it's simple, quick and not that dirty:

Level 1 of a 3 level building... Will update when I get the other ones

Waitaminute.

Coredump?

THE COREDUMP from The Tyranid Hive?

and you JUST joined, too?

Well, if it's really you, BWAHAHAHAHAAA! Welcome, mang!

As for Gimp, I haven't had that kind of patience lately to draw from scratch. So I've been using YeOldMapMaker - The RPG GameMaster's best friend! to get some quick small map pieces down, then I stitch them together using gimp. It's got a pretty quick learning curve. It's a pretty good basic program to get the map down in a not-very-pretty way.

Anyway - it's a good start

Talk to you soon!

Not the same coredump, but now I at least know where to find whoever uses my nickname around

Thanks for the program tip, I will check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by coredump View Post
    Not the same coredump, but now I at least know where to find whoever uses my nickname around

Thanks for the program tip, I will check it out.
    Aww, too bad, Tyranid hive Coredump is good peoples.

...err, not that you aren't, you know, uh. good peoples... I mean I'm sure you are good peoples, err, unless you aren't... not that I think you aren't, I'm mean...

Well then, new site, new Coredump. As I'm new here myself, not a whole lot of validity to it, but welcome anyway.