I have also noticed this and i can give you a nice example. It still baffles me as to why this is the case, but the evidence is there to support it. My finished map of my World of Tor Risk Board has 1,174 views and only 2 comments but the WIP has 9,962 views and 19 comments. the weirdest thing is that most of the views and some comments for the WIP came well after I posted it in the Finished Maps forum.

Why in the world is the WIP getting all the views and not the finished product? Could be because I put the WIP in the board game map forum which tends to not push threads down as fast therefore making it linger longer than the finished one in the Finished Maps forum...hmmm

Well anyway I recognize your theory and it could be tested using the scientific method. Just have to erase this thread and have everyone who posted on it post a finished map without posting a WIP and keep track of the type of comments and how many comments vs views. Then do it again but only after you post a fairly normal WIP and then we all share our findings.