Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: City on a Turtles Back

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here's a tip from me: try not to get bogged down in plausibility details like whether there is enough food or water for a certain population. You aren't on trial, and so 'beyond reasonable doubt' isn't necessary. Definitely, I think, give a nod towards those things--add as much farmland as possible, in a way that looks convincingly like it could have been done artificially or naturally--but trying to work out precisely how much is just going to cause you a headache (and nobody is ever going to try and work it out anyway). Consequently, I think it is more important how the layout of the farms appears, than their number (i.e. are they laid out in large fields, with communal workforces, or narrow plots that are divided amongst the peasant population, and so forth). Each to his/her own, of course.

So, looking at the layout you've added so far, I have a few questions that you'll hopefully find helpful:
    --the town starts near the tail, and then grows headwards: why? is there some advantage in the city moving towards the head rather than the tail? what were their priorities when the town expanded (eg. more room for fishing jetties, closer to the fields, away from polluted water etc.)?

--as Schattentanz commented, how did the population grow and change over time? Natural growth (births minus deaths) tends to be too slow to result in substantial population growth; your city would have needed to be founded many thousands of years ago if it was only natural growth. By contrast, immigration is, as stated above, less than easy given the unusual nature of the town. If I might venture a suggestion, perhaps the settlers of this turtle were refugees (i.e. did not have the luxury of choosing a mainland place to live, migrating in large numbers over a short space of time, bringing with them few possessions but an entrepreneurial spirit etc.).

--same question as above, but applied to the "upstart estates" and new town.

--where is the most prized 'land'? is it near the water, or the higher 'ground' of the shell? do they prefer to be close to the head or the tail? where is it the most stable (if this turtle was going onto land, the front is going to face major upheavals, as it hauls itself onto a beach, but the back might have sand flung over it as the turtle moves--just watch one of David Attenborough's nature documentaries, and you'll be able to see how awkwardly turtles move on land).

--I know you mentioned that the inhabitants of the turtle brought their traditional style of architecture with them, but I always find it enjoyable and rewarding to try and think of what adaptations a population has made considering their position. How has this population adapted to life on a turtle's back? What can they do now, that they couldn't before (and, equally, what can they no longer do, which they used to do often)? How has their architecture changed (for example, being resistant to earthquake like tremors)? How has their calendar changed (not staying in the same place surely means they have to think differently to landlubbers about planting and harvesting times)? Have they added/dropped any festivals from their year, and do they have special locations to hold festivals/markets/public events? If space is at a premium, I think it is likely they will try to give a place multiple uses (eg. the stadium doubles as a meeting hall; the church is also used as a schoolroom; the town square serves as market, meeting place, and festival ground etc.)

To sum it up more concisely, it is a ridiculous idea (I think) that living on a turtle is not going to require some level of lifestyle/cultural/economic/architectural/religious adaptation.

And regarding Schattentanz' other comments, a) I don't think magic is a good idea to explain how they navigate the turtle (if they do at all); I think you suggested at one point that they shine light on the water to suggest a shoal of fish, that the turtle then heads towards--that is, I think, a really clever idea, and gets away from the magical fix-all (no offence Schattentanz); b) for a good idea of the kind of services/goods available in cities of various sizes, this fantastic tutorial/guide should be used (I once tried to check it out to see if the stats really added up, and as far as I could tell, they do).

I'd like to see some more sketches, when you have them. It's looking good (the inset views in turtle-frames are an excellent idea).

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Thanks for the suggestions. Its never to late, especially since this project is on the back burner till I complete a couple of others. Its the reward at end of the stick for myself.

Awessomenesssssss

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123