Thread: Mapping cliches

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I just had a thought about maps being off to the right - I think it's less of a cliche and more about more people being right handed and maybe that's why. Being right handed people start drawing to right side of the page. Just a thought.
    Interesting theory. I think it could be at least partially true. Although, if you think about it in terms of ink-on-parchment, drawing from the right would just get your arm dirty and your ink smudged.

Guild Journeyer

I think a lot of it actually has to do with composition. That artistic principle is probably what defines people's opinion of whether a continent looks "good" or not, unless it's just completely improbable (haha). In a similar way, it affects where the viewer thinks the landmass should be placed. Since all of us Westerners read from left to right and top to bottom, and the majority of us are right-handed, having a landmass on the right might feel "right" (pun not intended) and, therefore, seem like a better composition, as good composition is not set in stone - it's merely a perceived thing. Of course, much of it has to do with balance as well. That's me having a go at explaining it, but I think that people equating their continents to Europe is the best bet for explaining the origin of the cliche, as others said. Feel free to disagree, or prove me wrong (right if I'm lucky)
    @-max- sorry! I thought it was on there, I'll have a look around the forum for where I saw this mysterious Valendhor though...

Quote Originally Posted by jkat718 View Post
    Interesting theory. I think it could be at least partially true. Although, if you think about it in terms of ink-on-parchment, drawing from the right would just get your arm dirty and your ink smudged.
    however, people think left to right on the page, in this country.