Thread: Help Remaking a Regional "Painted" Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vernon View Post
    I've been looking at graphics tablets, but I'm going to wait on getting one since it isn't something I think I need to finish. I went ahead and colored in the open areas with a water color brush; I wanted to save this for the end but I guess it doesn't really matter if I do it now.

I also gave the rivers a stroke and I like the way that ended up looking. I've gotten rid of the mountains and will fill them in next chance I have to work on the map...
    If you have any plans (and I highly suggest it!) getting a tablet, I would say go for it. You will greatly benefit from it in several areas, notably tapered rivers and mountain work. If price is somewhat a factor, you can always check out ebay or (my recommendation) craigslist, especially if you live in a decent sized city.

Also, if you don't want to go the tablet route, RobA, has created a tutorial here for how to use Inkscape to create the tapered rivers, so you might want to look that up. I assume Illustrator has something similar also if you use the Adobe products.
    Last edited by RobA; 08-10-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: fixed quote
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.