Hi,

I'm new to mapping digitally, used to hand draw maps years ago for gaming, and have been playing around with different techniques to create them. Lots of great tutorials on this site and I've found some useful info on YouTube as well.

I'm going to try and post pictures of the map I'm currently working on, hope I can get it to work. I'm using an old copy of Photoshop Elements (version 9) and I think I'm getting some decent results. I have been trying different filter combos for terrain like mountains (I'm not set on any particular style) and I hope some of you experts can give advice and what is working and what is not.

I'm open to critique as I feel it's a good way to learn. I have a thick skin so let me have it

I am not completely set on names or locations yet. This is a map to practice on, not for any particular use. And I plan on trying different styles for different maps.

I think I got the pictures to attach so basically it is the same island but I used different techniques for the mountains (not going for photorealism, if you couldn't tell ).

Any comments welcome.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island v1.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	512.5 KB 
ID:	80528 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island v2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	505.9 KB 
ID:	80529