Thread: April 2014 Entry - Fitedra

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is looking really good, Carbus, and I've always liked Nordic mythology, so the theme is great too.

It is rather hard, however, to know where you are planning on taking this map from here. What else do you plan on doing with it?

As for more constructive criticism:
    --I like the forests, although they don't look too obviously like forests, at the moment

--the various icons you've used don't seem to show up too well at the size you've posted above. They look like photographic images of Nordic stave churches. In my opinion, it might look better if you went with a more abstract or runic style of icon.

--is there a reason you've used two styles of mountain? The silhouette mountains you developed for a previous map don't (in my opinion) suit this style as well, whereas the other set you use here look incredibly good.

--also on the mountains, I'm not so keen on the isolated hills/mountains that are scattered around the place. Again, it would be good to know what you are planning.

--lastly, I assume the islands around Magr Jot are meant to look craggy and rugged? If my assumption is correct, I think you might need to mix up the size and spacing of the islands more. If my assumption is wrong, don't worry about it.

I hope none of that sounded too harsh (and I presume you were inviting feedback, at this stage). As I said above, this is looking good, and I think it also has the potential too look really great.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Carbus's Avatar

Hey there THW! Thanks for the feedback, they don´t look harsh at all, its great to hear tips and advices!

The map is still a WIP, but my idea is to place the 6 different places of most importance and describe them at the bottom.

- Well the forests I was trying a different style, since I have time Ill try to work on something else
    - For the different places I was trying a more photographic and visual style, instead of just icons, or runics. I think I´ll stick with them, but I agree that some of those require a better work, like the Houses and Castles.
    - I still didn´t finish covering all the mountains, but I´m sticking with the snow covered one, and at the lave area Im still thinking of something.
    - The major problem with the scaterring is to fill the map, since my hell map is not to be a land with many cities or villages, I felt the need to cover it with some elements. Nothing special, except for Magr Jot, where the idea is that the Unworthy that died drowned, are to be prisioned within the rocks.
    - I agree the island now look a bit weird, especially the lines around the isles, since the idea is to have islands moving from the land.

Thanks for feedback, since it´s still the beggining of the challenge, I´ll try to improve those parts!