One thing I have been thinking about as I learn mapping is how to easily make alternate incomplete or dishonest maps for the players in a game. My (the Gamemaster's) map should of course be the real deal, but player maps could almost anything and possibly in completely different styles.

What got me thinking here was Natzapo's map and his wide river. I hadn't given it any thought as I have been looking at medieval maps and that is how rivers are sometimes done on them. I just thought it was a style choice on the map as that is the sort of a map that players could be using, rather than a modern hyper accurate one. The map I give my players in my adult game will be much closer to the Gough map than the master map I will be using.

This all leads me to my question, how do you all do variants for players? The easy answer in most tools is layers, just turn off the ones they shouldn't see, but what about distorted 'hand drawn' variations of master maps, do any of you have any thoughts on how to do that sort of thing without just starting from scratch?