Thread: Broken Earth: Post-apocalyptic Upper Midwest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vooddoo-fire View Post
    Can you tell me how you mad that map???
    The original game map does a pretty terrible job at presenting the geography right, so I used Photoshop to lay an actual map of the area and the game map on top of each other. I had to do a lot of tweaking to present the shoreline, rivers, towns and other locations in more realistic way while not altering the intended hex distances and such too much. Having done the main lineart I did the colors (pretty simple stuff as you see) and designed a set of symbols. Then I went back to actual map of the area to see the propable extent of city ruins (in the original map the ruined areas are way too small), actual locations of power stations, dams and other sites. I marked these up with my symbols. I also had to redraw the run of the ruined highways since those presented in the game map have little to do with real world. Finally I did the naming and the map key. And thats about it.

Technically the style is really easy to emulate and I can do a simple tutorial if someone has some use for it. The hardest part was patching up the real world map to fit with the wonky game map.

edit. I also tried to get the extent of reforestation right by doing a bit of research on the flora of the are before it was turned to agriculture.
    Last edited by lobster; 10-20-2014 at 08:56 AM.