Quote Originally Posted by Slylok View Post
I agree with that

So if the species of humans in this world is inherently magic, whether it's due to science or supernatural powers, I think, the evolution of the world would largely depend on what percentage of the species is magical and how long of an evolutionary period were talking about. A world where everyone had the ability to perform magic would advance technologically much different than a world where 50% or less were magical.

Would there be a need for guns in a world where everyone had telekenetic powers or would a pouch of small round metal balls be enough? If half the population could control fire how would the fire department be different? Likewise with powers of rejuvination and hospitals.
Yeah definitely - and having the magic limited to a certain subsection of the population would probably guarantee huge discrimination and other ethical problems, particularly if it's passed on genetically.

In Mistborn, a small section of the population can push or pull against metal objects, meaning that they can shoot a coin at someone as if it's a bullet. However, guns (once developed) can still easily kill them, because bullets move at such a ridiculously high speed that they have no time to push it away from them. Though I guess guns were probably developed initially because mistborn/mistings became uncommon, making even primitive guns quite effective - so the question of how common magic is can also have a big effect on whether technology is developed at all. If the number of people immune to slow bullets is very high, it's unlikely for people to bother trying to develop better guns, so the guns that can kill the people who have the magic don't get developed.