Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Adept Facebook Connected

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Damascus.png 
Views:	945 
Size:	3.76 MB 
ID:	63671

After some trial and error with the automated distort filters, I discovered Iwarp. The swirl tools were particularly useful., I found I liked a randomized approach, so I just held the mouse button down and squiggled all over the place. The result isn't tileable, but it's easy enough to custom do for any size texture in a minute or two.

So yeah, here's the step by step (this is for GIMP, but I imagine PS has some similar feature):
    1. Get a steel texture, preferably one that isn't too clean.
    2. Dial up the contrast by 30 or so with the Brightness/contrast.
    3. Go to Filter > Distort > Iwarp.
    4. Select Swirl (either direction). The default is ok, but I also checked the box for "Adaptive Supersample", as it seemed to produce a slightly better result.
    5. Take two long passes, holding the mouse button down. Work your cursor over the whole area like a zamboni, until you have swirled every pixel on the texture. Hit OK, and inspect your work.
    6. For a more randomized appearance (which I prefer), take another pass, but this time just make a scribbling, shaking motion with the mouse, with no pattern or structure to where you swirl.
    7. GIMP left the bottom and right edges un-swirled for reasons that I could not discover. If this happens, use the flip tool to flip the layer horizontally and vertically. Then Filter > re-show Iwarp, and swirl the previously-unaffected areas.
    8. go to Color > Brightness/Contrast and adjust until you're satisfied.

I was a little worried that I might over-swirl the texture, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.
    Last edited by Coriolis; 05-01-2014 at 01:50 PM.