Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
I think your continents are too evenly spread out - it will look more natural if you don't try to have such a "democratic" distribution of space and importance.
Okay, I took another stab at the world map. Instead of grumbling and trying to make preexisting work fit, I started over from scratch.

STEP 1: I took a normal 8.5x11 piece of printer paper. I then measured out 5.5 inches on the long side and scribbled out the resulting 3 inch strip. I did this so when I started sketching out new landmasses, I would have only the relevant 2:1 to work in. After sketching out the landmasses, I opened it in Photoshop, cropped out the unnecessary areas, and resides to ensure I was operating with a 2:1 ratio.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	narridia_NEW.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	63878

STEP 2: After getting the basic image in Photoshop, I transposed it onto Google Earth. I realized that the top and bottom edges of the paper get super smooshed towards the globe, and the half-continent/half-icecap that I though I had before wasn't working. I tweaked the image in Photoshop again, and tweaked the southern polar cap so that there was indeed always a cap. This meant basically making the continent run the full length of the bottom. After reloading the image in Google Earth, I still wasn't satisfied with the result at the South Pole, so I toyed with the image some within Google Earth itself. I decided that I liked the look of it with the projection only really going to 80N and 80S.

STEP 3: The simplest step, for me. I took my "final" photoshop image, and opened it in Illustrator. After tweaking with the live trace, I fooled around with the colors to get what you see here. I might tweak with the landmass at the south pole some more, but so far it's pretty good. At least I think so.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	narridia_NEW.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	63879