Nice! I was hoping to hear that you'd thought a lot of those things out, and indeed you have. I like the idea of a void space at the edge of the world, although it makes me wonder if that's some kind of limited-range field, or if the celestials are inside the bubble of the space, in which case, do the sun and moons rise out of the sea? That would be kind of cool, although it would certainly have to change the nature of the sun!

Quote Originally Posted by Anbairui View Post
This is a map of the entire world, so there is a lot of detail that I could probably put in by zooming in closer. What do you mean by medium-scale detail?
It's a little difficult to describe with words, and I don't have the luxury of making illustrations at the moment, but I'll do my best. Coastlines, like many things in nature, are fractal, one quality of which is that are equally complex at every scale. Right now, your coasts are very complex at the smallest visible level—lots of crinkle in the lines. Likewise, at the highest visible level—the shapes of the continents themselves—they're pretty detailed. In between, though, there is often a lack of detail. Some coastlines are better than others. The western coast of the eastern-most continent, for instance, has a nice in-and-out meander to it (and I'm loving the fjords on the eastern coast). The continent to the north-west of it, though, seems less well-realized because it has large portions of coast that, if you were to remove the high-frequency crinkle, would be pretty much straight lines or arcs.

We do see that sometimes in real-world geography. The western coast of Washington and Oregon is pretty flat, but as you get further south, you see a lot more of the medium-scale detail in the California coast. So it's not a big no-no, but to my eye, there's just a little bit too much of that relatively straight coastline. Then again, I have no idea what causes some coasts to be "flatter" than others.