Thread: A tactical map commission

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip 75 pixel goblins

The client also needed some 75 pixel square goblins. Due to my great lack of time, I could only create two... here they are!

GP
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

I think the lake glows very nicely actually. I'd suggest shrinking the path texture a little as the cracks look a bit large for the map. Otherwise, nice map!

On question on the trees: How did you do the texture? Black-and-white Plasma and bump maps?
    All works shown in my posts are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Canada License (good thinking jfrazierjr)

Consider all my maps to be usable by anyone for the CWBP. Feel free to ask me for the .xcf or to ask me to change the orientation or scale.

Post Essentially, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Smith View Post
    On question on the trees: How did you do the texture? Black-and-white Plasma and bump maps?
    Essentially, that is exactly it. However, I use Xara Xtreme 4.0 rather than GIMP or Photoshop, which is a hybrid raster/vector application.

First I create a "mouse-drawn" forest shape and fill it with a properly scaled photo texture map of a real forest. Using the transparency tool, instead of a plasma, I use a Fractal Clouds filter, which very levels of transparency in a natural way to the forest shape. Using the transparency profile, I increase the contrast between transitions in transparency to help define the start and end of regions of forest. Finally I apply a heavy edge feather on the entire shape. All done in Xara Xtreme, though I'd say "texture and plasma filter" pretty much is the same thing you'd do in a raster app to get similar results.

I pretty much began experimenting with the transparency tool for this type of results only a few months ago. But I love it and use it extensively - I applied this technique to the mountains surrounding the forest as well.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations