Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Battlemaps in Photoshop

Guild Applicant

I would like to thank you very much, madcowchef, for this very helpfull tutorial. Thanks to you, I managed to do this.
    I'm open to any suggestion to improve my skills.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	battlemap-exercice-1.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	93765

Nicely done! Good choice of textures for your greenery. The only quick improvement I could see would be picking a less directional texture for your water, or using one of the distort Filters to bend the texture a bit to match the path of your waterway.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by madcowchef View Post
    Nicely done! Good choice of textures for your greenery. The only quick improvement I could see would be picking a less directional texture for your water, or using one of the distort Filters to bend the texture a bit to match the path of your waterway.
    Thanks a lot for your compliment and advice. I'm not totally satisfied by my light green bushes. Too much blurry...

Otherwise, I've tried to bend two water textures (the one I used before and a less drectional new one). Do you think the result is more convincing ?

Name:	battlemap-exercice-1-1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	93822

I'd say so. Lot of practice and experimentation goes into improving, but if you have something usable for your games even when you misstep a bit then the practice is a whole lot more fun.

Help

Hey madcowchef, thanks so much for this tutorial, it's been a huge help and enabled me to get a foot in the door and start making my own battle maps. With a few extra tidbits from around the web, here's what I've managed so far.

Name:	xX8ybH6.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	530.8 KB 
ID:	93987

But after stumbling across your Deviantart tiles, your caves really impressed me. And I'd love to know how I'd get started making my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Nicely grungy! I'll see about putting together something on cavern making, but it might be a bit before I have time.

You aren't far off really. You textures are a bit close to each other so its hiding the contrast a bit more than it should. I'd try substituting a couple different textures to see if you can find some that show off your work a bit more (you can drag your layer mask right onto a new layer and then just hide the previous one). Picking good textures is a lot of trail and error when you're getting started.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get right on that!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Amazing tutorial, thnaxs alot for this. Realy inspiring.

I love your textures, is there anyway i could get them? especially that cliff texture.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast