Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP: unnamed Earh-like planet

I did some tests to see what it would look like with Pixie's tutorial

Winds and pressure for January (red=high pressure, blue is low)
    Attachment 67072
    And July
    Attachment 67073

Precipitations Juanuary
    Attachment 67074
    And July
    Attachment 67075

map showing the dry area (only in terms of precipitations)
    Attachment 67076

I think I did something wrong with the precipitations because the climates are really dry compared to my map for the CWBP. I think water should go further inland.
    Last edited by Azélor; 09-02-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Holy cow Azelor! That was amazing. Thanks a lot for the time and effort it took you to do it.

If you didn't actually make any mistake with the precipitations I might have a little clash with the kind of climate I had in mind for an specific region, on the north-west of the eastern big continent, which I pictured more wet and green like central Europe, and not so dry. I might have to move the Empire's Capital to a wetter area then I'm afraid, to be coherent with my original idea.

I will try to see if I can fix it but it's still too dry. The problem could lie with the wind directions , I don't know.

One other explication is that your world is pretty flat. You see, higher elevation reduce the temperature and thins also lower the evaporation. With less evaporation, less water is required. The flatness is not a problem if it's what you have in mind but it's likely to make the interior of the continents drier.

They share the similarities with Central Asia. Mid latitudes, low altitude and far from the sea.
    Some continents of the CWBP2 have higher altitudes near the center, so this could explain the difference.

This is the resulting climates I get but I haven't cleaned any of the maps (temperature or precipitation) before doing it so it look really messy.
    Attachment 67098

To clean it requires a certain knowledge: for example the area in the western tip of the north west continent. One part is Dfb surrounded by Dsb. The reason it is that way is because the sides of the mountains receive more rain due to the orographic lift. We consider that they have a dry and wet season because of this but they only receive slightly more rain. In fact they should all be in the same climate. Well, actually not since I haven't considered the high elevation of the mountains. It's probably eternal snow on top.

It makes no distinction between Am and Aw but the second is the driest and most common. Am surrounds the Af climate (sometimes it's near the Cfa) while the Aw surround the hot steppes or the Cwa. It's a transition so you need a steppe between the deserts and the A's climates. Talking about steppes I think it's better now.

Csa/Csb: I'm surprised to see these climates appear so often far from the coast, particularly on the western continent.
    Cwa: is not as common as expected
    Cwb appear in the north ? weird
    Cwc: not sure there is any, but it's rare anyway

Cfc: is uncommon like on Earth, only 1 or 2 places
    Dsa: none but all the Ds climates are relatively rare

You don't have any Dsd,Dfd,Dwd climates. Not a problem since they are extreme climates.

and that's about it.
    Last edited by Azélor; 09-03-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Wow, I wasn't expecting you to go on with the next step, since I figure is a pain in the butt. Thanks a lot mate, that's amazing.

And yes, you are very on point with the height-map limitations I'm afraid, if I had understood the implications it would have on the later steps I would have done it with a better mindset.

It's fascinating to look at my world map and be able to tell which area has what climate, and how sometimes it matches what I had in mind and other times it doesn't. Absolutely fascinating, I can't stop looking at it.
    Last edited by groovey; 09-05-2014 at 06:43 AM.

but normally deserts should be on the western side of continents, not the opposite. That is the biggest problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    but normally deserts should be on the western side of continents, not the opposite. That is the biggest problem.
    Just a quick question that might be related to this, but wouldn't the major wind currents around the equator be moving in the opposite direction, i.e. east to west, rather than west to east?

Yes, your right ! And it's so obvious now that I look at my other map on climate.

Hello.

Just a quick update. I worked on a hopefully improved version of the height-map so the world isn't as flat. Of course, I feel like an dxxk for not doing it before Azelor used some of his free time to do the climate stuff with the previous version.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03. Height (09-09-14) 3rd version.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	67250

So now I'm in doubt, do I stick to the new height-map and give up climate (except the untouched areas from the previous version, where the climate stuff Azelor did would still apply) or stick to the weak height-map for which I have the climate stuff thanks to Azelor? I don't know, I feel bad simply disregarding Azelor's work, who I can't thank enough for letting me have a glimpse on my world's climate, so we'll see.

Regardless of what I do, would you even say the new height-map is an improvement over the old one, that I'll re-post again below for quick reference?

Name:	03. Height (04-08-14).jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	67249
    Last edited by groovey; 09-11-2014 at 11:42 AM.

I think the differences would be small in most places.

I think that the eastern part of the north-eastern continent should be all humid (it's supposed to be more or less like N-E China). As you move west it becomes a steppe between the two elevations. That was already what i had in mind but it makes it more legitimate.

For the eastern part of the same continent: mountains would make the central and eastern part drier. Another steppe but I don't think it's dry enough for a desert.

In the center of the map,. higher elevation would turn A climates into C climates. I'm not sure if I can differentiate the vegetation of these two climates. No major impact.

S-w: the rain pattern could change a little.

N-w: you have a lot of closed basin. I'm not sure why you have so many, Is there an explanation?
    The impact on rain is mitigated since the mountains are mostly in the center of the continent. But they do make it drier.

Note : I'm saying all of this but I haven't showed the new version of the climate map. I'll do that later today.

Thanks a lot for stopping by again Azelor. Right now you're the only factor keeping the current work and direction of map from being abandoned and just make up everything disregarding climate and natural science, which after the frenzy would bother me a lot to have to base the world-building of the novel in such a phony map.

My main goal with the new version of the height-map was to get a less dry climate for the most important area for the novel, on the north-west side of the eastern northern double continent joined by the central mountain range, since in my head the climate would be similar to that of central Europe, but I guess I failed again to do so. I can't believe the people living east to the central mountain range will get the better climate, since the people I focus the novel in, living on the west of said range, hate the eastern people to death. I bet they'd hate me for giving the easterners the better climate. Plus I figured a big part of the western culture's success to such a developed culture and political organization, in such a vast scale, would be the richness of resources and the climate, so now I'm not sure of what to do.

Is it not possible for the western side of the central mountain range to have a central European type of climate no matter what the height-map is? Are other factors preventing that, or is it simply that I put the mountain ranges in the wrong place?

And the closed basins are just random, result of the "technique" to get the altitude ranges, I wasn't sure what to make of them. I'll fix that in a moment.

EDIT: Here it is. I filled the basins or opened them. I hope it makes a little more sense now.

Name:	03. Height (14-09-14) 3rd version.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	67337

PD. Azelor, did you see my PMessage? Just curious, because sometimes I miss the inbox notification alert for a few days.
    Last edited by groovey; 09-14-2014 at 11:56 AM.

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast