Thread: WIP: Thränjök, an earth-like planet

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip WIP: Thränjök, an earth-like planet

Hello!

This is my very first map and would love to get some feedback on what I have so far.

World name: Thränjök

I decided to start building this word based on an idea for a novel. Originally I was going to just draw a rough map, but then I realised I wanted the climate zones to be accurate which meant doing more than just the main continent and down the rabbit hole I went. I based the original continent shapes based on coffee stains I made on printer paper. I scanned them in and went on the do the tectonic plates, currents, winds, elevation, rains, temperatures, and now I'm working on the climates.

This project has been a mix of pen and paper (and coffee), GIMP with a mouse on my work computer (lots of free time as a receptionist), and Photoshop with a tablet at home. The initial bits up through the rain portion were done almost completely in GIMP, but now I'm mainly working on it at home so I can use PS and my tablet.

This first map shows what I used as my initial elevation reference. Once the climates are finished, an atlas-style map will be next on the roster. After that, I would like to work on an illustrated version of the whole map as well as larger-scale illustrated versions of certain areas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thranjok.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	77198

I do not have any rivers marked yet as I wanted to refine the topography before placing them. (also just realised a few of the lakes/seas on the eastern continent need to be moved/erased)

Maps showing the tectonics, currents, winds, etc. can be posted once I get home if anyone wants to see those.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by Polkadot; 11-03-2015 at 04:14 PM.