Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: WIP (sort of tutorial to be) : Climates, applying Geoff's Cookbook at detail (some)

yes you can follow it but the last part, the step 7 is messed up because of me

Guild Novice

I'm just chiming in to say this is fantastic. I've been out of worldbuilding for a long time, but recently got the itch again, and have been wanting to make something realistic and detailed. This is great, thank you!

This is a great and informative thread. Pixie and Azelor - appreciate all this.
    [must subscribe to this.]

I am having problems actually understanding what exactly I shoudl delete here :

1. baseline rain
    All the layers will be colored with one color only. I use a not-too-bright blue, RGB:100.100.150. Brighter colors will make the end result hard to read.
    For the baseline rain you just select one very big area (the whole map if you want) and bucket-fill it with this color. Then toggle off the layer and toggle on atmospheric features. Make a selection (using the lasso tool) around the high pressure centers (stretch it further east and west than the actual centers drawn before). Don't loose the selection, toggle off that layer and toggle on the dominant winds. Adding to the selection choose coasts where the wind direction is offshore and the areas behind mountains that winds cross (normally called the rain shadows of those mountains). Still, keep the selection. Toggle off the winds. Go back to the baseline rain layer and just press delete. Now your initial baseline rain has gaps big and small. Toggle it off again so you can clearly see the land. Make a selection encompassing all land that is far away from the coast or protected from coastal influence by mountains. Back to the baseline rain layer and delete that as well. The end result, for me, was this:

I think it is :

layers
    -atmospheric features : the high pressure centers (stretch it further east and west than the actual centers drawn before)
    - dominant winds: coasts where the wind direction is offshore and the areas behind mountains that winds cross (normally called the rain shadows of those mountains)

delete these areas of the baseline rain layer

But that what means practically? That offshore windy coasts and high pressure centers get no rain?

That part of the tutorial is confusing because he is not showing the final results.

The way I understand it, these will get no rain with the baseline rain layer.
    But they might receive rain with the other layers.

Yes I cant get past. That. Portion of the tutorial , also because I am using the base ft output to start from wich is based on the formula calculations that are relative to temperatures and rainfall for the whole planet.

I am starting to think that its too complicate to really be able to implement for me , to be precise I woudl need at least a month full time on that when perhaps a nice program could do it faster and implement all that tutorial in a click ...

Waldronate once told me :

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Be sure to take FT's rainfall and temperature results (and the climate information derived from them) with a pound of salt. FT doesn't model any kind of water or air transport (and their associated heat and rainfall), so the results are not even close to "realistic".

My hope in providing the rainfall, temperature, and climate tools was to allow users to paint them in as they needed, but it seems that very few users attempt anything like that.

And the Gaia coloring is completely ad hoc, based on nothing at all (the rainfall and temperature adjustments have asbolutely no impact on that particualr shader). If there's one feature that I would have left out of FT, it's the Gaia shader.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast