Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: WIP (sort of tutorial to be) : Climates, applying Geoff's Cookbook at detail (some)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi Pixie.

Just wanted to stop by and say "Hi" and say thanks this now venerable awesome thread. I was a lurker for a while but finally jumped in for expert advice for the world i'm working on.

Started my WIP post up in World Mapping (pending approval before it's viewable).

When i get to the climate mapping i will be starting off with this here guide that you gave to us all and it would be great if i could call on you for an objective opinion and some input if you wouldn't mind...

Anywho, that's it for now.

PaGaN

Thanks for the compliment, PaGaN.

Azelor followed up on this thread and created a better/different tutorial. You might want to dig it as well. In fact, Azelor and I take turns (not on purpose) in being active here at the guild and he's much more available than I am nowadays. He really is the go-to guy for climate

sorry for necroing this thread as many have done before me. im aware that azelor has made an updated guide based around this one a long time ago, but i used this guide like 2 years ago and i used it again recently, and i just discovered and wanted to point out that your rules for maritime subpolar and taiga conflict

14. MARITIME SUBPOLAR (Cfc)
    - one season is Warm/Mild and one is Very Cold/Extremely cold
    - both seasons are Moderate or above
    17. TAIGA (Dfc/Dsc/Dwc)
    - warmer season is Warm/Mild and colder season is Very Cold/Extremely Cold
    - not qualified as Cold Steppe or any other D-type climate
    its very unlikely for the cold season to have a warm/mild climate which overlaps with a warm season very cold/extremely cold climate thus the taiga is going to dominate practicaly all zones that maritime subpolar is likely to find itself in. so im wondering which should be dominant in your guide?

The cc (not just cfc) definition is definitely wrong.

The average temperatures can't go below zero.
    I think the coldest they can go is mild, but Pixie never gave the temperature equivalent for these categories.

You are right, the taiga covers most of the area. Cc climates are rare.

i see, this might also explain why i have some parts of my map which are very wet year round and mild or warm/mild all year round which have no input at all. that's not likely to happen on a map on earth but i have some large islands which have northern coasts under the polar front all year while also being warmed by a warm ocean current which i dont think happens anywhere on earth

theres a few other gaps as well. in general i think pixie did a great job, theres a reason ive used this guide twice in 2 years, but needs some refining, and as i understand it i think azelor's guide might do that.

Guild Apprentice

Whoa, impressive. I'm mainly interested in topography for climate purposes (at least for now), so I figure I don't need to be quite that detailed. Broadly speaking, how do you figure out which regions should be at which elevations? From what I've seen it seems like "subduction zones and continental collisions are high, and things get lower as you move further away" is a decent rule, but I'm sure that's a gross oversimplification.

Praise Fantastic Work

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Hi folks.

Been working every now and then at the detailed heightmap of this world but I also spent some time in related projects (some hobby free time... which isn't as much these days as I would like it to be). One of them is this one.

With a fairly detailed map of the one continent, I could work a nice climate map as well. This I did, and then redid, and then again. And every time I added a little more depth and a better understanding of climate. I also used Geoff's Climate Cookbook everytime. In the meanwhile other members were also working on climates and I thought there could be more in terms of guidance for that. Hence, I thought I could, perhaps, redo my climate map in nice smallish steps and make it public.

Should the outcome and the process be of any "learning use", I will turn this into a pretty pdf for tutorial purposes..

So this is how I am doing it:
    Pixie - discovered this a new user seven years after the original post and wanted to commend you for a brilliant piece of work. I applied your method to my own world and amd really happy with the results. I haven't finished yet but the process was brilliant! I found this link from Artifexian's world building tutotrials on YouTube and found that your system produces and extremely realistic climate system. Maybe more overkill than most would bother with, but that's the way I like to do my world building! Thanks for the work and the sharing. When I am done I will share the physical feature map and the final climate map.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789