Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: WIP (sort of tutorial to be) : Climates, applying Geoff's Cookbook at detail (some)

i see, this might also explain why i have some parts of my map which are very wet year round and mild or warm/mild all year round which have no input at all. that's not likely to happen on a map on earth but i have some large islands which have northern coasts under the polar front all year while also being warmed by a warm ocean current which i dont think happens anywhere on earth

theres a few other gaps as well. in general i think pixie did a great job, theres a reason ive used this guide twice in 2 years, but needs some refining, and as i understand it i think azelor's guide might do that.

Guild Apprentice

Question

Hey! First of all, this is super cool. Second, I was wondering how you made the height map you show in your second post. I've been poking around but haven't found any good resources, so any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated! (working on a tectonics map rn) Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by CTA View Post
    Hey! First of all, this is super cool. Second, I was wondering how you made the height map you show in your second post. I've been poking around but haven't found any good resources, so any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated! (working on a tectonics map rn) Thank you so much!
    It's mostly done by hand with trial and error but more specifically: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=25903

Guild Apprentice

Question

That is an awe-inspiring amount of work. I mainly want a map to serve as guidance in climate construction; do you think a substantially lower-resolution topographic map (like this) would work for that? If so, what actually determines how high things are? From the maps I've seen so far, it looks like "things are high near plate collision zones and get lower as you move further away from them" is a standard rule, but that's probably a gross oversimplification.

Guild Apprentice

Whoa, impressive. I'm mainly interested in topography for climate purposes (at least for now), so I figure I don't need to be quite that detailed. Broadly speaking, how do you figure out which regions should be at which elevations? From what I've seen it seems like "subduction zones and continental collisions are high, and things get lower as you move further away" is a decent rule, but I'm sure that's a gross oversimplification.

Praise Fantastic Work

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Hi folks.

Been working every now and then at the detailed heightmap of this world but I also spent some time in related projects (some hobby free time... which isn't as much these days as I would like it to be). One of them is this one.

With a fairly detailed map of the one continent, I could work a nice climate map as well. This I did, and then redid, and then again. And every time I added a little more depth and a better understanding of climate. I also used Geoff's Climate Cookbook everytime. In the meanwhile other members were also working on climates and I thought there could be more in terms of guidance for that. Hence, I thought I could, perhaps, redo my climate map in nice smallish steps and make it public.

Should the outcome and the process be of any "learning use", I will turn this into a pretty pdf for tutorial purposes..

So this is how I am doing it:
    Pixie - discovered this a new user seven years after the original post and wanted to commend you for a brilliant piece of work. I applied your method to my own world and amd really happy with the results. I haven't finished yet but the process was brilliant! I found this link from Artifexian's world building tutotrials on YouTube and found that your system produces and extremely realistic climate system. Maybe more overkill than most would bother with, but that's the way I like to do my world building! Thanks for the work and the sharing. When I am done I will share the physical feature map and the final climate map.

Default Thanks for This

This was so impressive and useful. I followed the process and in the end had to develop six new climates! Currents and winds ended up creating some interesting conditions and my world has some plate tectonics that generated some pretty epic mountains, so elevation plays a pretty major role. I am showing a base physical map which is essentially shaded elevation, then a climate map created using this process, and then a biome map. I will also be creating a terrain map to show ground cover, which will be an amalgam of all of these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All three.png 
Views:	203 
Size:	957.3 KB 
ID:	130236  

Guild Member
    Blog Entries

Default Question about the ITCZ

One Question though: In what manner would the ITCZ would move? Would it move upwards based on elevation or something?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789