Thread: WIP (sort of tutorial to be) : Climates, applying Geoff's Cookbook at detail (some)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Step 1, base map

As I said before, my canvas is a topographical map I am working on, which is, at this stage, detailed only for one continent. That is the continent I am working on, it's called Palamb (and there is one very large country in it also called Palamb).

The first step is to have a regional/continental map which is clear of all clutter but shows the physical geography. This map needs to have latitude lines, preferably (or at least) the equator, the 30º and the 60º lines. I got my whole world map onto g.projector and then tried a few projections. My choice went to Hammer projection. It shows a relatively large portion of the map, in places emphasis on the center of it and visually it keeps an idea of the planet as a sphere.
    So I exported my base-map-to-be from g.projector with this end result:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hammerproj_palamb.png 
Views:	2243 
Size:	431.6 KB 
ID:	64045

You will see in the next post it is important to show not only where land ends but also where the continental plateau ends. Those boundaries between shallow waters and the deep ocean are very important for currents, and oceanic currents very important for climate, so go through the trouble of setting them, please. On my map, that is the light blue around the continents.

As you can see, the latitude lines are visible, there is ample space for scribbling on top of it all and it gives the viewer a clear view from equator to poles. Task #1 is done.
    Last edited by Pixie; 05-14-2014 at 04:44 AM.