Thread: WIP (sort of tutorial to be) : Climates, applying Geoff's Cookbook at detail (some)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's amazing to me how you can work out all these things, you make it look so easy.

I feel myself naturally inclined to this sort of information about planets, real or fictional, but it's frustrating because I can't get into it, it's too much deep and complex information for me, so when I try to, after a bit, my head gets fuzzy and then I just quit it because I'm unable to process further information anyway. So I'm taking it very slow, reading a bit from here and there, watching any documentaries I stumble upon about how the Earth works and such. I hope at some point everything fits into place in my brain and I can figure it out and apply it to a fantasy world map.

Anyway, I'm bookmarking this thread because I'm sure it'll be helpful to me at some point. Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this walk-through.
    Last edited by groovey; 07-15-2014 at 05:43 AM.

Guild Apprentice

Question

Hey! First of all, this is super cool. Second, I was wondering how you made the height map you show in your second post. I've been poking around but haven't found any good resources, so any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated! (working on a tectonics map rn) Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by CTA View Post
    Hey! First of all, this is super cool. Second, I was wondering how you made the height map you show in your second post. I've been poking around but haven't found any good resources, so any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated! (working on a tectonics map rn) Thank you so much!
    It's mostly done by hand with trial and error but more specifically: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=25903

Guild Apprentice

Question

That is an awe-inspiring amount of work. I mainly want a map to serve as guidance in climate construction; do you think a substantially lower-resolution topographic map (like this) would work for that? If so, what actually determines how high things are? From the maps I've seen so far, it looks like "things are high near plate collision zones and get lower as you move further away from them" is a standard rule, but that's probably a gross oversimplification.