Thanks for support, vorropaiah

Now, let's keep the discussion going - the "rules" to identify climate zones are far from finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
I’m not sure I understand the question. My main point was to say that in Koppen classification ‘’S’’ and ‘’s’’ are two different things.

Very hot and dry season = desert or steppe
I got that, Azelor, my point is about the rule-set I am devising.
In it, a region that gets rain ("Low" level, but still, different than "Dry" level) in any of the seasons doesn't get classified as Desert but as Steppe.
From our discussion, I take it that a region which has a "Low level" of rain but during a "Very Hot" or "Hot" season, should still be qualify as Desert.

Or (a different solution I am also considering).... once the temperature map is finished, use it to reduce the rain level in the Wetness maps in the areas where seasonal mean temperature is "Very Hot". Maybe this would yield the same result and be easier / more graphical.

Since monsoon only occurs in summer the very hot season, it’s impossible to have a monsoonal climate with a hot and dry summer but wet winter. The only that comes to mind is AS but the dry season is only considered dry because the wet season is really rainy. So it’s not that dry.

So it’s either a hot desert or it could also be a hot semi-arid. He does not have to be subject to the monsoon. And if it’s not affected by monsoon, the wet season is also the coldest.
So it means there are two types of hot arid climates, with different precipitation pattern, nice…
I see what you mean. I should split my current rules for Am between proper monsoon and chaparral-style climate (long dry summer plus a really wet but short season).

Well to start of, there is probably just one place on Earth with a Cwc climate based on the wiki map. Can you find it just by looking at the map ?
It's possible to have it cover a larger area in a fantasy map but it won't be much. But you question is how to classify this climate ? :

Summer: Hot, very wet
Winter : Cold, dry

Dwa maybe ? It's affected by the monsoon but I'm not sure it's wet enough
Dwa it is!

Really? I mean the 2 central parts are really dry. But I can't say if you did something wrong with the precipitation pattern because that part is really hard for me.
Yeah, I didn't anticipate it either. But (you can see the detailed, but already slightly outdated heightmap in here), both inland cores (north of the equator and south of the equator) are in the rain shadows of very large mountainranges and fall into desert latitudes. And I had a industrialized nation in it at start.... (they're dead now)