Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Small village near a river in a hilly landscape

Nice Francissimo. IŽll check about that add on for illustrator !
    So as we were talking about some qgis ways of creating old-looking maps, and about giving some texture to the maps, there is a famous and simple tutorial that shows how to do some primary work. I have done it for some of my projects to test. ItŽs basically changing the layer styles and using a background texture in the background, and applying the multiply render.

Attachment 64477

Attachment 64474

Attachment 64475

Attachment 64476

This is the tutorial: Vintage map design using QGIS | Free and Open Source GIS Ramblings

I didnŽt find any qgis plugin that works directly with textures. Do you know it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.bmp 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	64493  
    Last edited by felkis; 05-28-2014 at 12:46 PM.

Nice ressource that you provide here, there seems to have quite a lot of ressources about qgis! your way to add a background using the print composer is really cool, i never had the idea to use the print composer that way. In fact i never really tried to do aesthetics maps with qgis, except for topography analysis, but the potential seems here, each new version is really a big step forward. For QGIS plugins about textures, i think i have downloaded one at work but never figured out how it works. I'll tell you the name when i'll go back to work
    Your render is nice, the "old map" feeling is really here, the focus on textures seems to be a good first step. Other photoshop effects like bevell or drop shadows will be really harder to reproduce i think, but working with textures as a lot of potential. A possible way to have cool effects might be to duplicate layers in qgis (for exemple forests) and apply 2 differents textures to each layer with a low opacity. I use that trick in photoshop (same layer duplicate but 2 different textures with low opacity) and i guess it can be reproduce in qgis.
    Last edited by Francissimo; 05-28-2014 at 01:59 PM.

Thank you for the great tips. IŽll be trying all those ideas.
    I just registered this week in this forum, and I guess I didnŽt get how to upload the images here. It seems like my attachments didnŽt work by using the Insert Image commands.

IŽll have to try some maps using photoshop as well. I used it more often to work with Sat Images, and to make some image adjustments. So I guess IŽll have to study all the tutorials you guys make in this forum.

Really nice work Francissimo. That is a very involved and inspiring map. Truly. Cheers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123