Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP- unnamed fantasy world

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Amazing, ascanius, that oceanic ridge looks just right the real thing. Is it a hand-paint job? It looks like, with a sort of oil paint style.
    Thanks Pixie. Glad to hear it turned out well, took me forever to do that small little section mostly because it was experimental. I think I have it down well enough to reproduce in less time, I hope. Yup it's all done by hand, well as close to hand done as you can get with a computer and stylus.

Damn! That ridge and the ocean surrounding it looks really good. It feels very realistic.

I can't wait to see, eventually, what the texture in the land will look like.

Default update

Thanks Groovey, trying to get it as close to the reference image as possible. Only problem is that it is very hard to get the ocean ridges to look the same.

Anyway here is the latest update. I'm really proud of the sea, took me forever.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WM prvw 8.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	65470
    Last edited by ascanius; 07-04-2014 at 07:04 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Wellllllll. I think I was never close to this precission in calculating stuff. Most of the time I try to make things realistic but more from an intuitive point. But your progress is interesting to watch.

Fantastic detailing, ascanius! I hope you're better at finishing projects than I am, because I'm very much looking forward to seeing this completed.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Schwarzkreuz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chashio View Post
    Fantastic detailing, ascanius! I hope you're better at finishing projects than I am, because I'm very much looking forward to seeing this completed.
    I can only second that. Keep on the good work

Default Update

Ok here is the latest update. I mostly added the base to all the oceanic ridges, adjusted coastlines, added the base for oceanic highlands in some areas. I also adjusted one oceanic ridge and placed it a little more central along with moving a few subduction boundaries mostly in the central ocean.

Name:	WM prvw 10.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	65549

Here is a projection on a globe, need to adjust a few things mostly north and south poles.

Name:	image_0.00Ma.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	65550

Overall I think it is coming along nicely.

Default Update. Hightmap

I got tired of doing the plates so took a break and worked on a height map. As of now it's kinda experimental and was hoping to get some input on how well it works. I don't know if that lake is realistic but I got bored and started playing around and ended up liking it.

Anyway here it is.

Name:	WM prvw 11.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	65616

It's not that the height map is bad. Zoomed out it looks nice, specially in the smaller continent where you added some dark green and you have more detail in the higher lands. It's just that it isn't as good as the ocean floor. It might look better with less saturated colors - specially the lime-green - and it might look better once you have more ground covered with it.

Painting huge maps is a tremendous task and boring at times. It doesn't harm to take a rest from them some times or to swap tasks. From experience, I think those are better options than rushing through and then deleting stuff that took hours to do but wasn't actually up to standard.

Thanks Pixie, it helps having someone else point out things I myself am having doubts about. It's not an entire waste, at least I can use this to create a climate map.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast