Thread: WIP- unnamed fantasy world

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Added landmass

Ok I tweaked things a little and tried to make my landmasses into a puzzle, hope it worked. First I removed a few of the plates in the central ocean leaving a gigantic ocean plate in its stead. then I went and added landmass. This was tricky. The thing I found to work the best is to map out a single smallish continent. From there it was all about trying to imagine that continent as part of a whole. Working backwards gave me the basic shapes and locations of other landmasses based on plate movement with a good helping of artistic license.

First map is landmass w/plates
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World map 2 prvw 2.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	908.2 KB 
ID:	64487

The second shows how the continent broke up into what you see along with general mountain ranges (very general)
    The dots show start and end points for the movement of a continent.
    The arrows indicate direction.
    Yellow indicates older plate/continent movement while red indicates newer movement.
    Orange lines indicate newer mountain ranges while dark brown is older.

Name:	World map 2 prvw 1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	64488

Last image with labels.

Name:	World map 2 prvw 3.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	64491

I don't know if the islands work especially areas B and C. the islands in B look, well cramped. With area C I'm not sure if I should increase the density or leave them as they are.
    I tried to stay true to the term 'island arc' but getting them to create an arc became pointless after a while. I think I need to rework the islands but I'm not sure on a good mix of density and size.

Edit: Thanks Pixie and Groovy for the help and input.
    Edit:Edit: @Groovey, I have a layer with the rotational directions and for the landmasses I used the rotation trick a little, mostly to give me a idea of where they should be located. I tried making one super-continent and the breaking it up with the rotate tool. It works but it got confusing which layer was for which continent. In the end I just free handed the continents and used the rotation tool to adjust things a little bit
    Last edited by ascanius; 05-28-2014 at 12:43 PM.