Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: WIP- unnamed fantasy world

Hi ascanius! Your terrain map is coming along fantasticaly. It makes me drool as it looks like a very beautiful painting while at the same time being precise. That's amazing to do. I wish I had 1/6 of the skill you have for the job. Awesome work.

By the way, what size is the image and what resolution? It allows for zooming in to great detail so I figure it's a big size?
    Last edited by groovey; 05-30-2015 at 11:20 AM.

Sadly no updates. I've been very busy with work and with the constant state of overtime and spending a week trying to hack the windows 8 secure boot bootloader (secure boot is soo f'ing annoying) so I could actually use my computer, I finally just succumbed and reinstalled windows, my computer still thinks it can boot into debian. I made backups first so I didn't loose anything. Yeah but I've lost motivation after all that. Anyway i'm hoping to have the energy to do some work on my map during the weekends that I don't work, a guy can hope right

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Wow, nearly done!

I think you need to focus a little bit more on north/south color variations. Hue drifts from a little more blue in the north to vivid green as one progess south, that kind of variation is missing.

Here's the parts that I really drool over:
    - the mountains to the west of Drakes Bay - they are stunningly drawn and colored
    - the very large river flowing through the eastern plains to the Cidece Sea - it's going to be a major major civilization magnet (and navigable for a very long distance) (and a colossal wrecker when heavy rains add to spring melting in those mountains)

The mountain range to the west, on the other hand, looks meh - you are loosing the battle against detail-wear (just made this one up).
    Yeah i'm going to try an overlay gradient with blue to a more saturated green in the south, I still have to tweek the settings though.

do you mean all the mountains to the west of drakes bay, like if there was a vertical line are all the mountains west of that included, the mountains on the far western side of the continent i'm going to tweek/fix/redo I don't like that whole area. I'm really really hoping that your not only talking about the mountains to the west of drakes bay that are only on the island, for the sake of my sanity please tell me otherwise.

I never thought about the river during spring, it's a nice serendipity to have pointed out thanks.

It feels like I already lost the battle to detail-wear, i'm in damage control right now. It is extremely difficult to keep things consistent, even when I do things systematically how I see and draw changes day to day or hour to hour depending. I've had days where I finish huge swaths and others where I spend hours doing two mountains. I'm still struggling with the land of eternal ice ( the northern part of the mountains). adding white really threw a wrench in my process.

Quote Originally Posted by groovey View Post
    Hi ascanius! Your terrain map is coming along fantasticaly. It makes me drool as it looks like a very beautiful painting while at the same time being precise. That's amazing to do. I wish I had 1/6 of the skill you have for the job. Awesome work.

By the way, what size is the image and what resolution? It allows for zooming in to great detail so I figure it's a big size?
    Goovey! nice to hear from you, it's been a while. Thank you, It's nice to hear you like it. The resolution is at 12000x6000pixels with 32 bit color-space and 300ppi for when I have enough money to print it, you know in the couple of years it will take me to finish it.

Hopefully I'll have an update in the next couple of days to keep you guys drooling.

Sorry to hear, ascanius, but it seems like you just got out through the other side and it will all be fine now.

I was talking about the westernmost mountains. Still, I wouldn't go as far as saying they need a remake - just that it's starting to show that you want this done and over. If this is your labor of love, and a hobby, just give it a break and don't rush, finish it in 2016 or something.

What an amazing thread, very inspirational work!

I'm quite new to these forums (well, I've been here a full year, but haven't been all that active) so I'm not sure if it's costume to tag threads, but that's what I'll do this time so that I can return to it later and read it thoroughly; there seem to be very interesting things going on here

Default Update

Hey and thanks for the support everyone.

I have a small update mostly I did more mountains, I added a dark blue for the shading to see if i could take it more in the direction Pixie mentioned other than that taking a break helped a lot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_4.0.1.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	74755

So what do you think?

Great to see that the medicine you needed was some fresh air away from the paint.

You came back in good form, ascanius, those mountains merge perfectly with what was already there.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Great to see that the medicine you needed was some fresh air away from the paint.

You came back in good form, ascanius, those mountains merge perfectly with what was already there.
    Yeah, taking a break worked wonders. I think I even managed to figure out how to do the land of eternal ice. I changed the color of the base color layer to a mid unsaturated blue instead of white and I think it works very well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map_4.0.3.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	74791

Do you think it worked?

Yes, it works imo. I'm still impressed by the style you're developping btw.

Looking fabulous, ascanius.
    Kaitlin Gray - Art, Maps, Etc | Patreon | Instagram

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast