Thread: Mapping an Earthlike planet

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks a lot for all this positive input! To me this is also an important motivation to improve on the maps.

@groovey: Thanks a lot for all the praise, but let me tell you that I can be a bit of a pedant and a nit-picker in some areas! Even if those traits are not looked upon very favourably most of the times, they do have their merits, as they help me to work with an eye for detail somewhat above average. It's probably this nit-picking that shows in my maps...

@Pixie: Thanks a lot too for replying even when you don't have much time. I really appreciate it (but never feel obliged to respond to my questions). I think I'm going with all your suggestions. If the current is entering area A by making a bend around the small continent then the direction of rotation will be the same as the main gyres. Now that you mention it, it does seem more natural to have the current in area B go the other way. And of course I'll include both polar circulations and see how it influences the rest. I didn't draw them because I was unsure how I had to position them, having no continent to circle around.

@AlexSchacher: Thanks for your input too, Alex. Indeed, crossing currents felt completely wrong. I'm still working on the continental shelves (should have done that first, before starting with the currents), and indeed, the continental shelf will connect the large and small landmasses there. Oh, and great I could borrow your arrows idea!

As soon as I have the continental shelf and the updated currents map ready, I'll post them.

Cheers - Akubra
    Last edited by Akubra; 06-03-2014 at 06:45 AM.