Thread: Mapping an Earthlike planet

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Re: Comments on tectonic map

Hi Pixie and thanks a lot for the comments!

Now for your questions:

Daia Plate
    Now that I look at it again, I realize that there is indeed something strange going on. Daia Plate is moving eastwards at 68 mm./year while West Nohhon Plate is moving to the southeast at exactly half that speed (34 mm./year). So if their common border has an angle of about 45° they should more or less slide along each other and create a transform fault instead of a subduction zone. On the other hand, I like that subduction zone, and I think it could work if I change their relative velocities: 58 for Daia (-10) and 44 for West Nohhon (+10). I don't think it would create problems with the surrounding plate borders. Do you?

Ghatia Plate
    I don't quite understand why Ghatia Plate would have broken in two. Ranineo Plate is colliding with it (and moving over it) in a southwesterly direction at three times Ghatia's speed. Eneaga Plate does the same from the northwest, but moves beneath Ghatia instead of over it. So these two big plates add momentum to the southwestern movement of Ghatia. It in turn has room to follow in the wake of Taiunta because that plate moves faster than Ghatia. The only convergent boundary is with Ghaon Plate in the south. Could you maybe offer a little explanation why Ghatia would have split?

The lines
    Yes I first drew the plates on an equirectangular projection, because that is what I have in Inkscape. As for the lines, I first drew coarse outlines of the plates' shapes. Then I drew some straight lines in different colours, lengths and directions (a sort of palette) and copy/pasted them where I wanted them on the map, roughly following the outlines. For the subduction zones I grouped a line and 2 triangles. Then I deleted the outlines. I have to admit that sometimes it was not obvious what type of boundary I should use, but I think I worked it out relatively well.

Glad you liked the colours and labels!

Well, I "stole" the idea of using relative velocity from the Wikipedia map...

Cheers - Akubra
    Last edited by Akubra; 05-28-2014 at 05:25 PM. Reason: some more clarification