Thread: Mapping an Earthlike planet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

To calculate continents' areas I use this mini-tutorial: Using Photoshop to easily compute surface area - RC Groups, there it's used for other purposes, but the concept is the same. The idea is the same as jbgibson commented, but explained with more detail. Of course, it was created for Photoshop, but it can't be too hard to do the same in GIMP, as the steps are very basic I think. Of course, I didn't have in mind the projection of the map and how that distorts "reality"... because I hadn't thought of it.
    Last edited by groovey; 05-28-2014 at 07:52 AM.

Thanks for the link, groovey. Seems like an interesting alternative to jbgibsons method. I'm not sure yet if it will be applicable to the map, but it's definitely good to know another way to calculate areas.

Cheers, Akubra

Wip Tectonic time

OK, it's tectonic time. I prepared a map visualizing Rautah's 18 tectonic plates based on this Wikipedia map. The symbols and colours are more or less the same:

- Arrows with numbers: plate direction and velocity with respect to East Nohhon (mm./year)
    - Red lines: continental rift boundaries / oceanic spreading ridges
    - Green lines: continental/oceanic transform faults
    - Blue lines: continental/oceanic convergent boundaries
    - Purple triangles: subduction zones

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rautah_overview_140528_basic_simplified_tectonic.jpg 
Views:	493 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	64480

I'm currently only concentrating on the plates and their movements. In a later phase I'll fill in the resulting islands/mountains/...

All comments are welcome. Does this map represent a plausible situation? Are there any inconsistencies? Flagrant mistakes? Did I overlook something crucial?

Thanks for having a look! Cheers, Akubra