Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: August challenge: The Grist.

I like the tiles, very evocative.

The only thing that bugs me (and this is me mind you, so take it with a grain of salt), if the majority of corridors are only 5' wide. This means, for a game like D&D, where each creature occupies a 5x5 square during combat, the fights will become a battle of the front rank between the PCs and the Monsters. Further, Large Monsters (2x2 squares) are even further hampered by needing to squeeze in combat, a major penalty to those of the LARGE size.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    I like the tiles, very evocative.

The only thing that bugs me (and this is me mind you, so take it with a grain of salt), if the majority of corridors are only 5' wide. This means, for a game like D&D, where each creature occupies a 5x5 square during combat, the fights will become a battle of the front rank between the PCs and the Monsters. Further, Large Monsters (2x2 squares) are even further hampered by needing to squeeze in combat, a major penalty to those of the LARGE size.
    I can do some bigger corridors. I just wanted to do some maze tiles. It only takes me about 5 minutes per tile.

edit: that type of critique is what I need as I am not too familiar with the mechanics of the various games, so all pointers I can get are helpful.
    Last edited by Lord; 08-16-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Wip

Here are some wider pathways. Also there is a underground river tile, a lava flow tile and a tile that has some type of green stuff, I wouldn't mess with it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D22.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	714.4 KB 
ID:	5990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D23.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	673.4 KB 
ID:	5991   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D26.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	574.5 KB 
ID:	5992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D27.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	563.0 KB 
ID:	5994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d25.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	658.2 KB 
ID:	5997  

Last edited by Lord; 08-16-2008 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord View Post
    I can do some bigger corridors. I just wanted to do some maze tiles. It only takes me about 5 minutes per tile.

edit: that type of critique is what I need as I am not too familiar with the mechanics of the various games, so all pointers I can get are helpful.
    Well you have done a great job with this style of tile. It would also be nice to see some lairs. Like a Hobgoblin lair, Orc lair, bandits hideout, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy View Post
    Well you have done a great job with this style of tile. It would also be nice to see some lairs. Like a Hobgoblin lair, Orc lair, bandits hideout, etc.
    Can you elaborate on what a lair is like?

Post Objects of Lairs...

A lair would require several things (I'm including similar in my thread): a fighting position with nearby weapons rack, a living area with something for sleeping quarters, eating and food preparation, and a mean treasure storage. Plus size of such objects - small for kobolds, large for hobgoblins, etc.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    A lair would require several things (I'm including similar in my thread): a fighting position with nearby weapons rack, a living area with something for sleeping quarters, eating and food preparation, and a mean treasure storage. Plus size of such objects - small for kobolds, large for hobgoblins, etc.

GP
    Ya, what he said.

Monsters Manual Hobgoblin Lair Link

Wip dinner time!

Ok , well here is my first attempt at a lair. It is a bit primitive, I don't know if orcs would go there but there is a partially eaten dead horse, and two fut blankets laid upon some straw. I might take the blankets out, what do you think?

I will take a look at that manual too to get some more ideas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D28.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	745.8 KB 
ID:	6013  

Well, I would take out the beds and put in a fire bit with a spit and a table and some crude cooking implements.

Then this would become a good Kitchen tile for an Orc, Goblin, Bugbear, or Ogre lair.
    Last edited by someguy; 08-17-2008 at 11:49 PM.

Also, with the right tokens D8 could be a gathering room for any lair, a table and some chairs with brazers in the corners and it becomes a mess hall, or meeting room for bandits. D14 could become an Ogre Mage's Throne room, The room at the bottom of D15 could become a barracks for a goblin tribe, The rooms in D16 could be storage rooms or private rooms for named NPC's, D22 & D23 can be almost anything with the right tokens.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast