Thread: August challenge: The Grist.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

If I could make a selfish VTT request? When you do VTT maps they should look "lit up" through out. This makes them look more realistic when light is actually used in the VTT. Since MapTool is my VTT of choice I'll use it as an example. I can drop all the tiles into MapTool (MT) and then cover the whole thing with "darkness" and with "fog of war". Then for the character tokens I give them their own light source such as a torch, spell, or even dark vision. Now as they move around on the map it exposes what is below the fog of war and also lights up the area they move into. So by having a map that is already "lit up" it will look more natural. If it is already dark and gloomy, when it gets "lit up" by their light source the PCs will ask "what sort of magical darkness is this?". If you get what I'm saying.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    If I could make a selfish VTT request? When you do VTT maps they should look "lit up" through out. This makes them look more realistic when light is actually used in the VTT. Since MapTool is my VTT of choice I'll use it as an example. I can drop all the tiles into MapTool (MT) and then cover the whole thing with "darkness" and with "fog of war". Then for the character tokens I give them their own light source such as a torch, spell, or even dark vision. Now as they move around on the map it exposes what is below the fog of war and also lights up the area they move into. So by having a map that is already "lit up" it will look more natural. If it is already dark and gloomy, when it gets "lit up" by their light source the PCs will ask "what sort of magical darkness is this?". If you get what I'm saying.

Ok so... should the light be general ambient light, or from a source like a torch or something, I am guessing it should be ambient. Also would it be possible to take a screen shot of a map that has VTT darkness and is lit up by a source of your chosing? It would really help me get a feel for it.

Lastly, if it lit up by a torch, then it should have a yellowish oranging tint to it. Is this prefered rather than no-tint which might look lit up like florescents or something.