Quote Originally Posted by Tomalak View Post
I've never understood why people keep telling me to desaturate my maps - isn't that rather cross-purposes to the idea of putting color in the map?
No, it isn't. Colour doesn't just mean the brightest, most saturated tone, it means anything in the whole range from black to white all the way to the most vibrant blues, reds and greens. Colour, in this way, can be used to suggest things; if I wanted to make an evil-looking map with an implied cold temperature then I wouldn't use highly saturated blues for ice and snow, I would use colours bordering on grey or white to give a more accurate representation; I also wouldn't use overly saturated colours, as they have the effect of warming the image (or map). If you don't understand, look up Feng Zhu on youtube. He's got some great stuff to say about colours.
As for the map, it's looking pretty good, and the lighting in particular is done well, though the trees are much too dark and I think that those brown hills look a bit odd. I'd say just make them green, unless you prefer them being brown; after all, it's your choice.