Thread: hey all!

Guild Applicant

Default hey all!

a little about me. I've had no experience in digital art but would like to start practicing in hand drawing maps. i've been a geek for as long as i can remember and am especially into the steampunk aesthetic. part of my new interest in cartography has actually come from "alter ego" if you will in the steampunk world. he is a navigations expert with history in cartography, and i go to thinking that it may be interesting to see what goes into it and to try my hand at it. if anyone has ideas or other areas of the forums as to where i can get started that would be much appreciated.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Hello ghostfonyx, and welcome to the guild! I've seen a number of steampunk maps around here, some really amazing ones, so you'll definitely find what you're looking for. As to where to look you could check out the Mapmaking Discussion and Philosophy forums appropriate to the type of map you want to try (a country, a factory, a walking mechanical crab city) and dig in!

You might also try this Google search or use the search function on the site to find some amazing maps to look at. Then it's just a matter of asking questions and posting your work (not necessarily in that order). I'm looking forward to seeing your projects!

cheers,
    Meshon

Welcome - I look forward to seeing something in a steampunk style from your pen or mouse or tablet :-). Anything looks more interesting through a pair of brass goggles, and the backstory behind whatever you devise is likely to be fun as well.