Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The City of New Amber: Monastery District

Every time you have an update I'm just like *IT'S SO AMAZING! I LOVE IT! (HAPPY DANCE TIME)* So...yeah.

Thanks alot! Wow Domino44, you make me blush. Got to keep updating then so you can keep on dancing
    Cheers

Been almost a month (forgive me Domino44, I did not keep to my promise ), with summer at and end my time has been occupied leaving little time for mapping. However, finally, another update!

Had some spare time to make a attempt at coloring and went with this subtle touch. What do you fellow cartographers think? Is it too subtle, is it too much? Does the color pallet even work? Maybe I should just stick to the Black and White version? Any feedback is good feedback and is highly appreciated in this almost final stage.

Cheers!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moanstery.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	67414 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moansterybw.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	67415

Wow, this is so beautiful. I love your attention to detail.

I think the coloured version is the best. It also works in B&W, but with the colouring as subtle as you've done it, I think the picture is really enhanced. I will suggest, though, adding colour to the water parts of the picture as well.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Don't worry I forgive you, my summer has been crazy and I haven't worked on a lot of my stuff as much as I should be. I think the color is fantastic it shows off even more of your little details which is awesome. I really like THW's suggestion on adding color to the water even if there were just subtle blue accents along the shore line. I also think that the banners at the top and right side of the map could maybe use some color, even if they were just a shade darker.

I love this map so much thank you for creating it!

Thanks a lot for the kind words and feedback! It's very much appreciated and even more helpful! Hopefully you will like the project I have planed following this one just as much; it's going to be quite spectacular, or at least, it is in my head

Took the suggestions to heart and experimented a little. First of we have a example with the full body of water in a subtle blue (Thanks TWH), and then a version with a slight hint along the shoreline (Thanks Domino44). Instinctively I feel more for the second, however, I'm uncertain. Any suggestions? I also gave a slight touch of color to the parchment and experimented a little with a faint, overlay tone around the edges to give the whole map some "warmth" (does it work or is it to much?)

What do you fellow cartographers think? Once again, feedback is highly appreciated.

Cheers and thanks again for the help

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moanstery wB.jpg 
Views:	76 
ID:	67441 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moanstery sW.jpg 
Views:	75 
ID:	67442

I think this picture looks better having some blue for the water than none, but it is hard to decide which I like more. I'm sorry to say, I don't think either of those versions quite work at the moment, but maybe a combination of the two.

Perhaps, because this is an isometric map, you should do it as though there's perspective on the water. For example, make the blue thinner and lighter the further from the bottom of the page.

I like the paper texture. It's a very good choice.

THW

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

The color is superb, when enlarged it what caught my eye first was the background.. It looked like you cut the page out of some old tome! Again the addition of soft pastel color brings it to life and add's to it's depth perspective. very nice work!

I agree with THW, both versions are great but something in between would work best. Maybe you could have a slow change in opacity from light in the middle to full on the edges? The parchment looks amazing! *Happy dance time*

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast